Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I decided not to take the easy route and use tap water. Worked going into the lfs into my schedule a few minutes ago and went ahead and got another 20 gallons sitting in the trunk....should be nice and warm when I get home tonight lol!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Adding a couple Peppermint shrimp after the cycle, if your future stocking will allow, has the possibility of ending the war easily and permanently.
Awesome I was actually looking at those while I was getting water at the lfs. I love the way they look.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #153
AA Team Emeritus

I did the math, and between drinking water and fish tank water...an RO/DI + booster pump will pay for itself in less than a year, so I was able to talk my wife into the expense. Don't look at it as an expense but an investment.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
I did the math, and between drinking water and fish tank water...an RO/DI + booster pump will pay for itself in less than a year, so I was able to talk my wife into the expense. Don't look at it as an expense but an investment.
I'm gonna have to try that angle....been humping water for years now. Lol. I spend $9 a week in vending machine water. I'll just forget to mention that we'll have to replace the filters every so often!!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer

I'm gonna have to try that angle....been humping water for years now. Lol. I spend $9 a week in vending machine water. I'll just forget to mention that we'll have to replace the filters every so often!!
$9 a week! How many gallon water change do u do lol. I bought 15g from jewel for $5
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5688

$9 a week! How many gallon water change do u do lol. I bought 15g from jewel for $5
Lol..15 g for the tank and 15 g for all the air breathers! Florida water blows, so we use vend water for cooking, cats, dog, birds, and the 4 of us. Got a full house, cats over birds, with a beagle kicker, + my 180 reef!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
I am sure I could get away with this, my lfs is charging $0.50 a gallon, though today they let me have it for free. I have a spare bathroom that would be perfect for an rodi unit. The bathtub is a water change station for the freshwater tank and serves as storage for all aquarium supplies...the only other thing that shower has been used for is dog baths. Time to start promising more shoes I think.....
Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #158
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Alright I just did a 75% water change to help correct my ammonia mistake. I also went ahead and added some more sand to the tank as I felt it was lacking. This of course caused a crazy dust storm. So I will run all test again in the morning when the tank has cleared up.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #159
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It appears the water change has brought ammonia down to about 4-5 ppm. So now I will be patiently waiting. I will test the ammonia again sunday to see if there has been any change.

My Aquaclear currently just has floss since I added more sand and was trying to clear that up. Should I go ahead and add my Purigen and Chemipure Elite during the cycle?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #160
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't worry about it. I would add after the cycle as long as your using Ro/Di water. you really shouldn't have anything to remove other then nitrates until you begin adding fish and feeding

Tags
build, long, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com