Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This might help...

Billbug68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Old 07-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rhino a 75w might not be enough and why your seeing it constantly on. I know for my 20L i needed a 100w and even then during the winter its on more than its off.

Also if your running your air constantly then your heater is fighting your air conditioning. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #174
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
Rhino a 75w might not be enough and why your seeing it constantly on. I know for my 20L i needed a 100w and even then during the winter its on more than its off.

Also if your running your air constantly then your heater is fighting your air conditioning. Just a thought.
See I considered this. According to the manufacturer this is actually a bit overkill. I keep my air conditioning at about 75 to 73. There is a vent next to the tank but I got one of those air flow deflectors to move the air forward and not up. So no air is blowing on the tank. I knew I should have spent more for another aqueon pro. These heaters have been awesome for me. At the time though the eheim was only $18.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino

See I considered this. According to the manufacturer this is actually a bit overkill. I keep my air conditioning at about 75 to 73. There is a vent next to the tank but I got one of those air flow deflectors to move the air forward and not up. So no air is blowing on the tank. I knew I should have spent more for another aqueon pro. These heaters have been awesome for me. At the time though the eheim was only $18.
20long however, has more surface area and will cool off faster. The air may not be blowing on it but the room temp is still approx 73 degrees so if you keep your tank at 78 lets say then your constantly fighting that 5 degrees. I dont know if mine could get away with a 75w heater. This is of course assuming that the heater is actually on and working. If its hot/warm then its on.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

20long however, has more surface area and will cool off faster. The air may not be blowing on it but the room temp is still approx 73 degrees so if you keep your tank at 78 lets say then your constantly fighting that 5 degrees. I dont know if mine could get away with a 75w heater. This is of course assuming that the heater is actually on and working. If its hot/warm then its on.
Yeah I guess I forget about the surface area. Would a ceiling fan make a difference? Mine stays on 24/7
Old 07-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #177
Fish R friends, not food!

anything moving air across the water is going to cool it. I can put a little clip on fan on my 75 and drop the tank a couple degrees.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
anything moving air across the water is going to cool it. I can put a little clip on fan on my 75 and drop the tank a couple degrees.
This is no bueno....I can not live without my ceiling fans. I am a hot natured freak.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #179
Fish R friends, not food!

Then I would just get a higher wattage heater that doesnt have to work so hard. Not a problem. Or maybe two heaters?
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman
Then I would just get a higher wattage heater that doesnt have to work so hard. Not a problem. Or maybe two heaters?
Yeah looks like I will be getting with marine depot to return this one. Thanks everybody.

Tags
build, long, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com