Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What do you all think of my light fixture choice?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a fishneedit fixture over my 20g and it's a good light fixture in my opinion. The only thing I would consider is to change out the bulbs. The 10k bulbs that come with it are quite yellow/green and kinda give an "off" color to the tank. The blue bulbs that come with it arent horrible but they arent super blue so you might wanna change those as well if you like a super blue hue to the tank.

I agree about the powerheads too, I would go with two 425's, I think you'll be much happier with them. I run them in my 29g cube as well as my 20g.

Just a warning though, I had an aquaclear 70 running in my 20l when I had it and the flow was crazy. Because the 20L tank is short top to bottom you will have issues with sand being blown around with the 70. I would go with the AC50 instead. I also run one of those on my 20g tank. lol
You will only be using the filter for particulate matter that is in the water and maybe for running media like purigen or gfo. The bigger media chamber in the ac70 would be great for media though, but I think you can fit what you want in the 50 as well.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I have a fishneedit fixture over my 20g and it's a good light fixture in my opinion. The only thing I would consider is to change out the bulbs. The 10k bulbs that come with it are quite yellow/green and kinda give an "off" color to the tank. The blue bulbs that come with it arent horrible but they arent super blue so you might wanna change those as well if you like a super blue hue to the tank.

I agree about the powerheads too, I would go with two 425's, I think you'll be much happier with them. I run them in my 29g cube as well as my 20g.

Just a warning though, I had an aquaclear 70 running in my 20l when I had it and the flow was crazy. Because the 20L tank is short top to bottom you will have issues with sand being blown around with the 70. I would go with the AC50 instead. I also run one of those on my 20g tank. lol
You will only be using the filter for particulate matter that is in the water and maybe for running media like purigen or gfo. The bigger media chamber in the ac70 would be great for media though, but I think you can fit what you want in the 50 as well.

Hope that helps!
Ha I have viewed all your threads and had hopes I would be hearing your opinion on this build. You guys have convinced me to go with the other powerheads. Also, I will be changing some of the bulbs in the fixture eventually. I have an ac30 I could use as well. Still considering the sump though.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, does anyone have anything negative to say about the Eheim Jager?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had no issues with my power heads and the Hydor smart wave. It alternates every hour. Been like that for 5 months. (hope I didn't jinx myself)

It was my understanding that the smartwave was specifically made for the Koralia's.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I've had no issues with my power heads and the Hydor smart wave. It alternates every hour. Been like that for 5 months. (hope I didn't jinx myself)

It was my understanding that the smartwave was specifically made for the Koralia's.
That is what I thought as well. I will try to send them an email and see what I can find.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Here is a link to Hydors website stating that they can be safely ran on a timer.

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/47/list/14
Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino

Here is a link to Hydors website stating that they can be safely ran on a timer.

http://www.hydor.com/prodotti/show/famprod/47/list/14
yes they can, however that doesnt stop them from breaking, although as a note ive only had this issue with the ones that have this grille with the little rubber piece.

Pic is the aftermath, this will cause the pump to run in reverse. If this happens they will send you 3 free covers. If this didnt happen often they would not send 3. Oh and i talked to them, it happens often. This belongs to the 750, and 550, not sure the 425 has the rubber piece so u may be ok as far as this problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3782336819.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	101588  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

yes they can, however that doesnt stop them from breaking, although as a note ive only had this issue with the ones that have this grille with the little rubber piece.

Pic is the aftermath, this will cause the pump to run in reverse. If this happens they will send you 3 free covers. If this didnt happen often they would not send 3. Oh and i talked to them, it happens often. This belongs to the 750, and 550, not sure the 425 has the rubber piece so u may be ok as far as this problem
Thanks for the good info!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What brand of heater do you all use?

Tags
build, long, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com