20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
reefrunner69 said:
Do you have a TDS meter? My LFS sold me RO/DI water that had a TDS of 90. Don't trust the LFS;-)

No but mine is legit. I have been given a tour of the place and what not....i have no worries. Even if I did nothing I could do lol. Cant spring for an rodi right now. Wife just started her senior year.

So I may have asked this before, what do I need to look for in gloves for working in the aquarium? Any particular type, brand, material to look for or avoid?

Rhino said:
So I may have asked this before, what do I need to look for in gloves for working in the aquarium? Any particular type, brand, material to look for or avoid?

They are preferred cause of zoas toxins and most corals mucus/slime is one of the most bacteria infested places on the planet. I just use non powdered latex surgical gloves when really working with my corals but if its something little or quick I just wash my hands afterwards. If you have any open wounds though be extremely careful to not have contact with the corals

Mrc8858 said:
They are preferred cause of zoas toxins and most corals mucus/slime is one of the most bacteria infested places on the planet. I just use non powdered latex surgical gloves when really working with my corals but if its something little or quick I just wash my hands afterwards. If you have any open wounds though be extremely careful to not have contact with the corals

I have a couple of cuts on my hands right now which is the main reason I asked. Also, I plan in keeping zoas and have read about the dangers there. Any way I could use powder less nitrile gloves?

Rhino said:
I have a couple of cuts on my hands right now which is the main reason I asked. Also, I plan in keeping zoas and have read about the dangers there. Any way I could use powder less nitrile gloves?

Pretty sure but you should read up on zoas toxins and risks before fragging and if you do frag always wear eye protection and gloves. Afterwards wash your hands and face to avoid rubbing any into your eyes later on it could potentially blind you :x lol

Mrc8858 said:
Pretty sure but you should read up on zoas toxins and risks before fragging and if you do frag always wear eye protection and gloves. Afterwards wash your hands and face to avoid rubbing any into your eyes later on it could potentially blind you :x lol

Haha blind enough without glasses would prefer not to add to it lol. I would hate to be blind and have a pissed wife.

Rhino said:
Haha blind enough without glasses would prefer not to add to it lol. I would hate to be blind and have a pissed wife.

Ya plus all the money you just spent on your reef is kinda wasted if you can't see lmao

Stand and first coral pics. Cell phone quality what can you do you know.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120904_230256.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120904_230256.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 110
  • ForumRunner_20120904_230324.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120904_230324.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 131
Finally got around to taking some pics. Got my first corals in a week ago tomorrow. My lfs had a Kenya Tree and Xenia frag on the same piece, also found 4 zoas of an unknown type hiding on the back as well. No pics of them opened as they still have not opened for some reason, is this unusual for them to go this long without opening? Just now starting to see some diatoms showing up. Will be going to get hermits in a week or two.

Attachments

• IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg