20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that would work. Softies might be OK with the light without raising it, but it's a lot of light for softies.
Why get such a powerful light ( for this application), only to raise it up, and cut back its power? Do you plan on LPS and SPS in the future? If so, then it's a good idea, but Soft corals would probably do OK under a 2-bulb fixture at that depth.

Flreefer said:
Yeah, that would work. Softies might be OK with the light without raising it, but it's a lot of light for softies.
Why get such a powerful light ( for this application), only to raise it up, and cut back its power? Do you plan on LPS and SPS in the future? If so, then it's a good idea, but Soft corals would probably do OK under a 2-bulb fixture at that depth.

Yes I will be getting some lps and more than likely a few sps.....perhaps a clam as well

We have had our Jäger heater running for 3+ years with no issues. I like that it shows actual temp number v the plus and minus on some of the others. We are going to change out the heater in the 180g for a Jäger on our next dry goods buy. Good luck

Rosesrblu1 said:
We have had our Jäger heater running for 3+ years with no issues. I like that it shows actual temp number v the plus and minus on some of the others. We are going to change out the heater in the 180g for a Jäger on our next dry goods buy. Good luck

Glad to hear it. No one has anything bad to say about them. BIG order being placed tonight!

Well my order has been delayed. I have many items I need Marine Depot to price match so I have to wait until tomorrow. Will update soon.

Small update: Just placed an order for almost everything with Marine Depot. The guy on the phone was really helpful. We setup a lot of price matches which saved me around $50! Here is a list of what I just ordered:

1- Eheim Jager 75 watt
2- Hydor Koralia Nano 425's
1- API Saltwater Master Test Kit
1- API Reef Master Test Kit
1- 50lb bag of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
1- 100ml Seachem Purigen
1- 5oz Chemi Pure Elite
1- Coralife Digital Thermometer
1- Magfloat (small)
1- Aqueon Gravel Vaccum
1- Tom Aquatics Dip and Pour (to be used for acclimation)

All this was ordered for a little under $160 (Felt like I did good. Was going to run me $200 before the price matching)

Still need:
15 lbs base rock (ordering this weekend)
5 lbs of live rock (pickup from LFS when its tank time)
Sand (going to price check at LFS today)
Light (ordering Friday)
Refractometer (Anyone recommend a good place to get one? Marine depot is out of stock on the cheap one)
Stand (building this weekend)
Tank (waiting on $1 a gallon sale...heard rumors this will happen on July 4, happy anniversary to me)

Glad it's coming along. You can get the refractometer from BRS. Comes with free calibrating fluid. I think it's under $40.

AquaRick said:
Glad it's coming along. You can get the refractometer from BRS. Comes with free calibrating fluid. I think it's under $40.

Thanks for the information.

I have seen on a couple of other forums today that the $1 a gallon sale started at Petco yesterday. Anybody know if this is correct?

Update time. I picked up an Aqueon 20 long this evening. Got to love the $1 a gallon sale. Tank is going to leak test overnight. Then going to paint the back in the morning. Got tracking info from Marine Depot, package should be here Thursday or Friday.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120625_215507.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120625_215507.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 103
Small update. Tank is taped off and going to be painted tonight.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120626_193741.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120626_193741.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 151
Update:

Tank is all painted. Sprayed with Krylon Fusion flat black. Turned out really good. My stuff from Marine Depot should be delivered Friday. Light will be ordered Friday as well.

Quick question. How would I disinfect my old aqua clear 70 to prep it in case I use it with this tank?

I'll be silently following along in the background... Planning on starting my reef journey with a 20 long as well sometime next year... Once I get my freshies all set up and dialed in. Good luck, I can't wait to see how this unfolds!

Back
Top Bottom