20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rhino said:
Quick question. How would I disinfect my old aqua clear 70 to prep it in case I use it with this tank?

Use a 1:10 solution of bleach and water and soak it for at least 30 minutes. Rinse well and allow to dry for at least 24 hours. Any residual bleach will evaporate in the 24 hours.

reefrunner69 said:
Use a 1:10 solution of bleach and water and soak it for at least 30 minutes. Rinse well and allow to dry for at least 24 hours. Any residual bleach will evaporate in the 24 hours.

thanks for the advice.

Update time! I got my Marine Depot order in today. Also, my fixture was ordered this morning. Hopefully it will make it in by next Friday.

Went by my lfs tonight and picked up some "live" sand.

Will be ordering about 15lbs of base rock from reefrocks this weekend. (anybody ever order from them?)

Also going to try to order a refractometer this weekend.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120629_215917.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120629_215917.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 119
  • ForumRunner_20120629_215927.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120629_215927.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 139
spoonman said:
Looks to me like a 4' 75 gallon would fit there. Just sayin'........

Lol, and next thing we know we have a 125 long. Ain't this hobby lovely!

Oops, sorry folks. I hate it when you click a thread using the iPad app and it takes you to like page 3 of 5.

Its update time.

Long day today. My dad came over and helped me construct a stand. Good cheap labor. He worked all day for a few beers and lunch.

Pics of the construction:

Frames

ForumRunner_20120701_205736.jpg

Shell

ForumRunner_20120701_205755.jpg

Corners are all braced this way.

ForumRunner_20120701_205813.jpg

Skinned
ForumRunner_20120701_205846.jpg

Ready for sanding and wood filler.

ForumRunner_20120701_205903.jpg

200 gallon reef said:
Looking good. Are you going stain it, or just seal it?

I am going to paint it white. That's the color the wife wanted. Since our anniversary is on the fourth and she has let me get all this I left the color up to her lol.

Another small update. Just ordered 15 lbs of base rock from reefrocks.net. All I need now is a refractometer and to pick up some live rock when I go get RO from my lfs when it is finally time to get this started.

So I got a shipping update this morning and my FishNeedIt fixture will be coming in next Wednesday, according to FedEx's website. I still have not heard anything about my base rock so who knows when that will show up. I still have to order my refractometer from Ebay. The wife gets paid tomorrow so I should be able to sweet talk my way into getting one.

I do have a question tonight though. Do I need to order any kind of supplements or buffers? I have seen a lot of peoples tanks on here and when they showed a picture of their cabinet they had all kinds of additives they were using. I will be getting RODI water from my LFS to use in the tank and I am using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I know Seachem has a large line of marine supplements. Should I use Reef Trace and Reef Plus? I want to keep my tank as chemical free as possible, however, I still want to see plenty of growth and I want my corals to be as healthy as possible. What are the thoughts of my fellow forum members?

Your sale mix should give you all you need for now. Once your stock is higher and corals deplete some trace elements and calcium, you may have to dose.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Your sale mix should give you all you need for now. Once your stock is higher and corals deplete some trace elements and calcium, you may have to dose.

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

So I was painting the stand white....but now I an not so sure how I feel about the white. how do you all think it would look of I sprayed it with krylon hammered paint? I am thinking silver or the copper color. Thoughts, ideas, comments?

That sounds interesting. Just make sure it's washable. You'll get some salt residue eventually. Mine is black, which I like, but I am always wiping it down.

Rosesrblu1 said:
That sounds interesting. Just make sure it's washable. You'll get some salt residue eventually. Mine is black, which I like, but I am always wiping it down.

It seems to have a rather glossy finish. So it should clean very easily.

Back
Top Bottom