20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrc8858 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. I would add after the cycle as long as your using Ro/Di water. you really shouldn't have anything to remove other then nitrates until you begin adding fish and feeding

Excellent. That's what I thought but I like to double check.

Update time. Cycle is moving along quickly especially since it has only been four days. Params tonight are as follows:

Temp:79
Specific Gravity: 1.025
PH: 8
Alk: 8
Ammonia: 2
Nitrite: 5
Nitrate: 5
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 400

Will update tomorrow with my stocking plans, for review from the pro's here to make sure I am not making any rookie mistakes with what I am mixing.

Quick question: Does the light on my Eheim Jager Heater ever go off? I have never seen it off yet. I keep a powerhead right next to the heater so it should be circulating the warm water pretty well. I thought the light would just be on when the heater was on but the wife accidentally threw the instructions away.

If the tank isnt overheating, I wouldnt worry about it. Great that you got nitrites right away. You are moving right along!

spoonman said:
If the tank isnt overheating, I wouldnt worry about it. Great that you got nitrites right away. You are moving right along!

Just wanted to make sure. Nitrates made it up to 10 ppm last night. Dosed ammonia back up will run full tests tomorrow night.

Rhino said:
Quick question: Does the light on my Eheim Jager Heater ever go off? I have never seen it off yet. I keep a powerhead right next to the heater so it should be circulating the warm water pretty well. I thought the light would just be on when the heater was on but the wife accidentally threw the instructions away.

Not familiar with that heater, but when the light is on, just feel it. That will tell you if it is constantly on or not. Most heaters lights are only on when they are heating, might be different with that one though.

Billbug68 said:
Mine is a different brand but the light goes from green to red. Green when it's off and red when it's heating.

This is the way all of my Aqueon Pros are, great heaters. The Eheim Jager has great reviews online so I thought I would try it. But this part is a pain. I like to walk past and see yes or no if it is heating.

Rhino said:
This is the way all of my Aqueon Pros are, great heaters. The Eheim Jager has great reviews online so I thought I would try it. But this part is a pain. I like to walk past and see yes or no if it is heating.

I did a quick google search just cuz I was curious and it sounds like it should turn off... Try feeling around it or turning the temp down to see if the light goes off... Otherwise I would think of maybe exchanging it for a new one... Could be defective and not heating at all or stuck on.

Edit: yeah mine is an aqueon pro and I love it so far, very accurate with the temps on the dial and I too like seeing the light green or red. Gives a little peace of mind!

Billbug68 said:
I did a quick google search just cuz I was curious and it sounds like it should turn off... Try feeling around it or turning the temp down to see if the light goes off... Otherwise I would think of maybe exchanging it for a new one... Could be defective and not heating at all or stuck on.

This is what I thought as well. I emailed Marine Depot this morning. They actually replied quite thoroughly and sent me a link to a digital version of the user manual. I figured the 75 would easily heat the 20 long. I even have a powerhead right next to the heater to push warm water around. I hope I don't have a fubar heater right before the end of the cycle....I am ready for fish and corals lol.

Billbug68 said:
This might help...

I have calibrated it once but I guess I should go ahead and do it again just to make sure its running smooth and to make sure I did it right. Thanks for the video.

Rhino a 75w might not be enough and why your seeing it constantly on. I know for my 20L i needed a 100w and even then during the winter its on more than its off.

Also if your running your air constantly then your heater is fighting your air conditioning. Just a thought.

Schism said:
Rhino a 75w might not be enough and why your seeing it constantly on. I know for my 20L i needed a 100w and even then during the winter its on more than its off.

Also if your running your air constantly then your heater is fighting your air conditioning. Just a thought.

See I considered this. According to the manufacturer this is actually a bit overkill. I keep my air conditioning at about 75 to 73. There is a vent next to the tank but I got one of those air flow deflectors to move the air forward and not up. So no air is blowing on the tank. I knew I should have spent more for another aqueon pro. These heaters have been awesome for me. At the time though the eheim was only $18.

Rhino said:
See I considered this. According to the manufacturer this is actually a bit overkill. I keep my air conditioning at about 75 to 73. There is a vent next to the tank but I got one of those air flow deflectors to move the air forward and not up. So no air is blowing on the tank. I knew I should have spent more for another aqueon pro. These heaters have been awesome for me. At the time though the eheim was only $18.

20long however, has more surface area and will cool off faster. The air may not be blowing on it but the room temp is still approx 73 degrees so if you keep your tank at 78 lets say then your constantly fighting that 5 degrees. I dont know if mine could get away with a 75w heater. This is of course assuming that the heater is actually on and working. If its hot/warm then its on.

Schism said:
20long however, has more surface area and will cool off faster. The air may not be blowing on it but the room temp is still approx 73 degrees so if you keep your tank at 78 lets say then your constantly fighting that 5 degrees. I dont know if mine could get away with a 75w heater. This is of course assuming that the heater is actually on and working. If its hot/warm then its on.

Yeah I guess I forget about the surface area. Would a ceiling fan make a difference? Mine stays on 24/7

anything moving air across the water is going to cool it. I can put a little clip on fan on my 75 and drop the tank a couple degrees.

spoonman said:
anything moving air across the water is going to cool it. I can put a little clip on fan on my 75 and drop the tank a couple degrees.

This is no bueno....I can not live without my ceiling fans. I am a hot natured freak.

Then I would just get a higher wattage heater that doesnt have to work so hard. Not a problem. Or maybe two heaters?

spoonman said:
Then I would just get a higher wattage heater that doesnt have to work so hard. Not a problem. Or maybe two heaters?

Yeah looks like I will be getting with marine depot to return this one. Thanks everybody.

Back
Top Bottom