$200 score!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLHoenig

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not much to say, really…

110g with stand

Has:
• Base rock: coral, barnacles, conch shells
• Non-submersible pump: Iwaki Walchem WMD-20RLT
• Pro-Twin Dual-Venturi HOB protein skimmer
• Various test kits (old, maybe useless…) NO2, NO3, pH, Ammonia
• Second Nature Whisper 1000 air pump
• 2 - F20T12 lamps (not good for corals, right?)IMG_7102.jpg

Needs:
• Lots of cleaning!
• Replace the lamps
• Replace the pump
• Cross fingers that the skimmer works
• Replace plywood floor of stand
• Update the plumbing
• Sump
• LR & sand

• LIVESTOCK!

Got my 75g a couple of years ago off Craigslist; this one came through a Facebook local/regional For Sale page…

75g was a complete setup also; needed a bigger sump, re-plumbed, additional LED lighting, skimmer, heater; I think that’s it. Also a $200 score…

First cleaning pass complete; scraped off the thicker stuff, then three washes with good ol’ H2O, straight outta the tap. Next two passes will be vinegar, then another two or three tapwater-only passes.

I haven’t messed with the overflows yet; you can see how bad the bottom glass was inside.

These are exterior pictures…

Left overflow before:
IMG_6862.jpg

Left overflow after:
IMG_6867.jpg

Right overflow before:
IMG_6864.jpg

Right overflow after:
IMG_6868.jpg

Might want to check the seals on the bulk heads..I just one that just cracked in half before install. Fortunately I had extra bulkheads so finding a new gasket took 10 minutes..
In searching I think it is easier and maybe cheaper to just buy the whole bulk head? Then you can choose to replace completely or just the gasket..

Yup; part of the re-plumb plan.

Say…what size sump should I use? I’m thinking about a 30-40 gallon breeder; my LFS put baffles in the 20L I bought for the 75g a couple of years ago…

I need a good submersible pump; what’s your recommendation?

And good, relatively inexpensive 60” LED lighting…

Nebraska Aquatic Supply, my LFS, will have good opinions (they always have) and I just wanna compare what other hobbyists like, and why/why not…

I like Jeboa pumps .DC and digitally controlled so if you slow flow you save electricity. Less heat transfer then most other pumps also.My old mag raised tank 4 degrees.
The 15,000 is the bomb now and what I run on my 180.
I have older Jeboa 12,000 I am using on my 120.
Almost everyone goes with the cheap Chinese box lights also.
I run 2 mars Aqua 165w on my 120.
Pump go to the 3962 g one .Very affordable and you can turn it down infinitely.
https://www.chewy.com/jebao-marine-submersible-tank-pump/dp/158716
Light https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dim...qid=1517607856&sr=8-1&keywords=mars+aqua+165w

You may find each cheaper if you hunt ,just quick links...

Ran a 15-minute test with the skimmer immersed in tap water; seems to be OK – turns out it’s not a HOB, so that’s awesome! Clean-up time…

Next, there’s these two beasties:

Maxi-Jet MJ-750

IMG_1517684965.471865.jpg

IMG_1517685117.517815.jpg

And, no info anywhere on this; anyone have any idea what make/model?

IMG_1517685020.639435.jpg

IMG_1517685060.692019.jpg

Clean-up & testing time!

Both pumps work!

Found paperwork; it’s an Oceanic Systems Model 4 setup. Looks like some minor parts are missing/replaced…

Also has a tall Creative Plastic Research skimmer – cone is busted but the rest is intact & probably unusable because skimmed water/bubbles will reach bottom of collection cup (wonder if CPR is still in business & replacement cup/cone are available).

IMG_1517688411.604938.jpg

To trust, or not to trust; that is the question:

IMG_1517688451.403054.jpg

I’m leaning toward not…

Last, but not least, an Iwaki Walchem WMD-20RLT in-line pump, which will be discarded in one fashion or another (I prefer submersible to minimize leakage risk…)

IMG_1517690100.921678.jpg

Both pumps work!

Found paperwork; it’s an Oceanic Systems Model 4 setup. Looks like some minor parts are missing/replaced…

Also has a tall Creative Plastic Research skimmer – cone is busted but the rest is intact & probably unusable because skimmed water/bubbles will reach bottom of collection cup (wonder if CPR is still in business & replacement cup/cone are available).

View attachment 306874

To trust, or not to trust; that is the question:

View attachment 306875

I’m leaning toward not…

Ditch the 'buffer' or whatever it is. Not only is it old there isn't a need for the stuff. As for the skimmer, CPR is a great company. I don't know if you can get a new cone for a skimmer, I'd assume you'll need a new skimmer.

Ditch the 'buffer' or whatever it is. Not only is it old there isn't a need for the stuff. As for the skimmer, CPR is a great company. I don't know if you can get a new cone for a skimmer, I'd assume you'll need a new skimmer.

lol…yeah, the buffer’s in the big box with all the other dumpster chow.

There’s actually two skimmers; the CPR and the Pro-Twin. The Pro-Twin runs fine, so it’s getting a good test in the 75’s sump for a week or so…

Good idea on testing the working skimmer. It can sometimes take time to get things up and running with them. It won't be several weeks like a brand new unit that has to work the oils that are leftover from production off of it, but it should take a couple days to get back into the swing of things. If it doesn't, take apart the pump and give it a good cleaning to see if that helps.

Right!

I spent most of Friday & Saturday cleaning everything that could be cleaned, disassembling everything that could be, and putting ‘em all back together. I’ve enjoyed that sort of thing all my life…

The skimmer is fizzing right along, but no noticeable scum in the funnels yet, so the collection cup is still empty; it’s sharing the sump with another skimmer at the moment. I’ll shut down the primary tomorrow and leave this one running solo for a few days.

Here’s the reason for the higher level of salt deposits on the left overflow plumbing; notice the cracked flange:

IMG_7143.jpg

Scored a 30g for $30 yesterday; gonna turn it into a sump/fuge…

Specs on this picture are off by a factor of 10; couldn’t help it, with the iPad app…

IMG_6955.jpg

The 50” on the left and 60” on the right will actually be 60” & 70”, respectively, providing 2 actual inches for filtering material. I plan to use the second large chamber as the fuge.

How’s that sound?

now that was a nice score no doubt

I had a pump like that in a fresh water setup worked great but once they start to disintegrate on the outside like that the internals shortly start to follow

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom