20000k no 03' ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
have read that if your running 20k mh bulbs no need for 03 lighting !
do you agree with this ?

I think it's a personal preference. I love the black light effect that actinics give off so I would probably use them no matter what I have. I am running 14K w/ actinics and I still wish my tank was more blue.

my thoughts are to get 20k and instead of going with vho's just to no 03's for before the mh come on and after they turn off of a hour or so ! save some cash that way ! just didnt think the 20k mh would be enough alone! but my lfs has switched as well and leaves his pc lights off now !

I read the same thing and my 20k's should be here any day now. I will probably still leave the blues anyways to keep the light shock down. My blues also go on and off 1 hours difference. I would think that 20k all at once would cause brightness shock.

I run a 15K HQI with no actinic and I get a great amout of flourencencr. I am sure the 20K alone will be fine. I know several people with them and the general consensus is that they are little too blue at first but quickly settle into a nice balance. If it's any consolation I even know a guy that runs 20Ks AS actinic supplementation to his 400W Iwasaki 6500Ks...

R-

We received our bulbs today and are amazed by the coloration of the lr and corals. These are absolutely beautiful. I didn't even realize how much coralline was actually in the tank. This just brings it all out. Highly recommend it.

You dont need the act but having the act you can simulate the dawn/dusk effect where the act come on before and turn off after the MH. IMO having an act option is very nice for viewing the tank because things just look so cool.

I also have my act to come on around 1hr before and after the MH turn on/off.

A lot of people say the sudden light change from on to off or vice versa might spook the fishs causing them to "carpet surf".

Just wanted to add that act03 gives off a more purple color and the other is more blue.

Back
Top Bottom