Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
hello everyone.

currently have biopellets but have not seen any positive results. so im thinking about redoing my sump and allowing almost 1/3-1/2 of it for the dsb and fuge section. i dont know if deep sand beds are still a viable means of filtration and nitrate reduction.

thanks guys and gals
Oh ok thought maybe you werent running them long enough but sounds like you did thats odd they worked great for me in fact to well i took them off

Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
hello everyone.

currently have biopellets but have not seen any positive results. so im thinking about redoing my sump and allowing almost 1/3-1/2 of it for the dsb and fuge section. i dont know if deep sand beds are still a viable means of filtration and nitrate reduction.

thanks guys and gals
Back to original question imo dsb will aid in reducing nitrate

Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm curious about your bio pellet reactor as I have A dsb and have added a reactor and I have noticed huge improvements also Dsb helped a lot with the nitrates key is good seeding and no sand sifter star fishs or other predatory animals that eat the beneficial organisms in the sandbed
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have read many mixed results about bio pellets. For me it didn't help. Even after trying to increase feeding to feed the bacteria.

I have used two different reactors. First was the two little fishies phosban then the brs phos/pellet reactor. The brs reactor is junk, both for phosphate media and pellets. So I went back to 2lf reactor.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I have the 2lfr seems ok I think I need a bigger pump but I only run like 1/3 of what they said and it seems to be doing its job the increase in food that it produces seems to be bring coloured back to most of my corals
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
I have read many mixed results about bio pellets. For me it didn't help. Even after trying to increase feeding to feed the bacteria.

I have used two different reactors. First was the two little fishies phosban then the brs phos/pellet reactor. The brs reactor is junk, both for phosphate media and pellets. So I went back to 2lf reactor.
Why did you think the brs reactor was junk? Just curious because I recently purchased it and haven't had trouble... Yet!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagert86

Why did you think the brs reactor was junk? Just curious because I recently purchased it and haven't had trouble... Yet!
The pellets didn't tumble as well as they did in the 2lf reactor. This was with a maxijet 1200 as the supply pump and then latter a tee off my return line. I have a ball valve after the tee and a quiet-one 2200 as the return and had the valve closed all the way just for giggles. Still lousy. It got clogged often. Tried a few of the recommended mods for it and still wasn't impressed. When I had it for gfo it was the same miserable poor tumble. I am glad that its working for you. Junk for me.

Tags
nitrate, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com