Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

2012 are deep sand beds still viable for nitrate reduction?

hello everyone.

currently have biopellets but have not seen any positive results. so im thinking about redoing my sump and allowing almost 1/3-1/2 of it for the dsb and fuge section. i dont know if deep sand beds are still a viable means of filtration and nitrate reduction.

thanks guys and gals

Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well Mother nature still uses it, So it cant be all bad.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think the basic science has changed any, athough we've certainly learned a lot more about proper set-up and maintanence.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

by proper set up do you mean 3-5 inches of fine sand (pool filter sand or sugar fine?) with proper sand stirring organisms and detritus eating organisms? and said organisms are part of the maintenance?

do you have an article that you recommend for understanding what is needed for a properly set up dsb and maintenance?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I personally think the space the sand takes up could be put to better use. My whole display is a dsb and I honestly think it does nothing. It works for the ocean but I think the lack of microfauna in home aquariums makes a remote dsb not very efficient and not worth trouble of maintaining it. Jmo
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I ran two in-sump DSB systems for many years and had great results with both. The best thing about having them in the sump is you can always change things without disturbing the display tank. I advocate in favor of it. Granted, I never had a large fish population in any system. If you're looking to handle a heavy population of fish it may not be the best option. Large amounts I'd detritus don't help a DSB.

I don't have an article link but I'd also love to read a good one if somebody else can post one.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
I personally think the space the sand takes up could be put to better use. My whole display is a dsb and I honestly think it does nothing. It works for the ocean but I think the lack of microfauna in home aquariums makes a remote dsb not very efficient and not worth trouble of maintaining it. Jmo

what could the space be better used for?

[QUOTE=CorallineAlgae;2131642]I ran two in-sump DSB systems for many years and had great results with both. The best thing about having them in the sump is you can always change things without disturbing the display tank. I advocate in favor of it. Granted, I never had a large fish population in any system. If you're looking to handle a heavy population of fish it may not be the best option. Large amounts I'd detritus don't help a DSB.

I don't have an article link but I'd also love to read a good one if somebody else can post one.[/QUOTE

plain old ugly sea cucumbers are supposed to be great with detritus
Old 09-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A pump powered scrubber even though you may be able to do both that's what I was thinking . Even just tossing a ton of cheato would be better than a remote dsb IMO. I can honestly say the algae scrubber is the best thing I have done in all my fish keeping ever lol. My trates haven't moved for the past 4-5 months and I am doing smaller pwcs every week and still feeding my fish 2x a day. I can't really say enough about how well these work. Also you have the advantages of not needing animals to maintain it and no chance of that toxic gas ever escaping . I will never run another tank without one. Ime standard fuge or remote dsb can not hold a candle to the power of an ats when it comes to trate reduction . Jmo
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch
hello everyone.

currently have biopellets but have not seen any positive results. so im thinking about redoing my sump and allowing almost 1/3-1/2 of it for the dsb and fuge section. i dont know if deep sand beds are still a viable means of filtration and nitrate reduction.

thanks guys and gals
How long have you ran your biopellets it takes at least a month for them to start being effective i thought they worked very well so well in fact that my macro and xenia started dieing off
Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
A pump powered scrubber even though you may be able to do both that's what I was thinking . Even just tossing a ton of cheato would be better than a remote dsb IMO. I can honestly say the algae scrubber is the best thing I have done in all my fish keeping ever lol. My trates haven't moved for the past 4-5 months and I am doing smaller pwcs every week and still feeding my fish 2x a day. I can't really say enough about how well these work. Also you have the advantages of not needing animals to maintain it and no chance of that toxic gas ever escaping . I will never run another tank without one. Ime standard fuge or remote dsb can not hold a candle to the power of an ats when it comes to trate reduction . Jmo
your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post
How long have you ran your biopellets it takes at least a month for them to start being effective i thought they worked very well so well in fact that my macro and xenia started dieing off
first time i tried pellets was for 4 months... no change. this time about a month and a half

Tags
nitrate, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com