20g FOWLR build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got a spare 20 long laying around and figured why not turn it into a FOWLR? First i wanted to get the stocking strait. I was thinking-
OC.clownfish pair, a Harlequin bass, and a small blenny not sure which one but would this be ok? For invertabrates a skunk cleaner shrimp, some hermit crabs, a porcelain crab or two, and 1-2 emerald crabs.

Tell me your thoughts on the stock,
Thanks

Now onto topic, why get reef safe fish for a fowlr. If I was doing a small fowlr I would get an angler, they are awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
You really should wait more than 8 minutes for people to respond. Be a little more patient, bumping your own thread is rude.
Now onto topic, why get reef safe fish for a fowlr. If I was doing a small fowlr I would get an angler, they are awesome

Would an angler eat the other stock?

Last edited by a moderator:
So i could get the other crabs but not the hermits or any snails right? I think i would like an angler! What type is best?

No the opposite, just snails and hermits with the angler. Painted are cool and the red ones are awesome. They are fairly pricey though

No the opposite, just snails and hermits with the angler. Painted are cool and the red ones are awesome. They are fairly pricey though

Oh, i thought you ment they would eat the snails and hermits but leave the rest... In that case i guess i wont do a angler.

I would have donea reef but dont have enough money for another.

Oh, i thought you ment they would eat the snails and hermits but leave the rest... In that case i guess i wont do a angler.

I would have donea reef but dont have enough money for another.

Ah gotcha yeah anglers will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. Well your other stock sounded fine to me if that's what you want.

I'd agree that the four fish should be stocked. Unless you would like to add tiny fish, like a clown goby or a yellow watchman goby. :) Just have to keep up on the water changes and you should be fine.

I'd agree that the four fish should be stocked. Unless you would like to add tiny fish, like a clown goby or a yellow watchman goby. :) Just have to keep up on the water changes and you should be fine.

I will do 2-3g wc once every 2 weeks, or should i do it once a week? I like the idea of the watchman so i guess that will be my stock.

I'd start with weekly and go from there. You may be able to go biweekly but you have to make sure your parameters dont suffer. That will depend on how much you feed and general maintenance on the tank.

I'd start with weekly and go from there. You may be able to go biweekly but you have to make sure your parameters dont suffer. That will depend on how much you feed and general maintenance on the tank.

I will be adding live rock from another tank and will gradually stock after everyone goes through QT. i will start with the clowns, then the H.bass, then a tailspot or combtooth blenny, and then the goby. I will do 3g weekly wc then.

Might frag some mushrooms from my other tank and stick them in here, they are taking over all my zoas on that same rock lol. I have some old lights i can use so i guess you could call it a reef. Do you guys think a skimmer is needed for such a small tank?

Any low light nems for the clowns? The lights i have spare are 14W T5 deep blue actinics... Only 1 bulb because the other socket is broken.

No nem will survive under those lights. Well a tube anemone would but it would eat your clownfish lol.

Would any wrasse fit inside besides six-line? I am thinking of cutting out the blenny and getting a small wrasse like a fairy or somthin

Too small for fairy wrasses, look at a possum wrasse if you want a wrasse.

Awww :( do you guys think i will be fine if i add 5lbs of live rock and 15 of dry? Will that allow me to add the clowns after 3-4 days? I will seed the tank with some 4 month old media too :) and how hardy are Harlequin bass?

Back
Top Bottom