20k MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishrfreinds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im buing a new lighting system as my odessye lighting system shockingly failed a month ago. And i have been running on one leg (only one ballast is working). So I'm going to take the working ballast and retro fit MH's in the canopy.

Any way, is 20k okay or is it to much in the blue spectrum.

Ive looked at
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_bulbs_information.asp?CartId=

and its hard to say if the reef is getting the right light w/20000k

It all depends on your personal preferance. That is a pretty blue spectrum though. I'd go with a 14 or 15k, but thats just me.

The blue is just aesthetic appeal. I like xm 10k's over their 20k's (too blue). The 12,13, and 14ks are all going to be about the same with some light discrepency's based on company. I prefer hamilton stuff myself if not xm (10k). My best advice would be to call up a shop and ask if they have any of these bulbs on their displays and go see for yourself :)

It is all on preference really. 20k will give fine spectrum BUT you have to change 20ks more often then you do with say 10k or lower. Essentially the more blue ions that the bulb holds the faster the light deteriorates. The blue ions burn quicker than the yellow do.

So in effect its not the spectrum its just the fact that your corals are more often dealing with a light that is failing quicker and quicker and they need to adjust. Keep that in mind

Back
Top Bottom