Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2003, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to colorblindpicas
20W Coralife Mini-Compact bulbs

Has anyone bought a 20W Coralife Mini Compact self-ballasted bulb? I’ve used the 10W variety in my light fixtures before, but I’m wondering the length of these higher wattage ones. I know they are longer, but I’m not sure by how much. If anyone out there has one, and doesn’t mind checking both the length of the glass portion, and the entire bulb/fixture that would be really helpful!

Thanks,
Christopher

Old 01-01-2004, 12:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So did you ever find out. I have the same question.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:43 PM   #3

Actually I did. I’ve attached a picture of one I bought with a ruler next to it. While I’m at it, I’ll attach a few shots of my 20 gal mini-reef which uses the lights. I’ve got three DIY light strips on the tank. Two are running 3 of the 10W mini-compact bulbs. The third strip is running two of the 20W and one of the 10W bulbs. These are the only lights to ever be on the tank. The one with the 20W lights is a new addition as of last week. The tank is “3 sided” so I’ve included 2 shots of the tank, as well as one of the light strip.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cool. Thanks for the info and nice setup by the way. I plan on getting two of those for my 10g.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a ten gallon QT that came with 2 15w incandescents, and I want to try these instead. Will they run from a regular socket, or do they require some other type of outlet? TIA.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #6

I made my own, but I didn’t use anything but off the shelf sockets and wiring. If they can run the incandescent they should be able to run the PCs with no problems. Just note the size of the “base” and make sure they will fit. Also, each tube is a discrete component of the “50/50” bulb. One side is actinic, and one is 10,000K daylight. So it’s possible you’ll get more of one than the other depending on how the tubes are positioned when the fixture is tightened. I’ve found that to be only minimally problematic, and I think it’s worth the try in your case.

Good luck,
Christopher

Tags
bulb, bulbs, coral, coralife, mini

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com