220 Gallon Reef-Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK guys, I got the call today, the tank arrived. I am out of town, but will be picking it up next weekend. I have literally decided on everything except for lights, so I have a question. I was originally thinking halides, I love the way they look. But for the money, and upkeep costs, I think I am going with T5HOs. I know it isn't a for sure thing I would need a chiller with Halides, but I don't want to chance it, nor do I want to pay for those bulbs every 6 months and the power bill.

Do you think that two of these hung side by side would support anything I wanted to keep? Particularly interested in clams, they are the main reason I was planning to go with halides.

Aqua Medic Ocean Light T5 Light Fixture with LEDMoonlights, 36", 8 x 39W - AquaCave

Those lights will work. If I didn't have leds I would use t-5s. Does the fixture come with bulbs? I would recommend ati bulbs. They are in a class by themselves. Ask Mr X what the best combo is.

Because two 36" fixtures would cover the 6' of tank. Each of those is 8x39 which would give me a total of 16x39 over the tank. Most of the 6' fixtures only go up to 12. The tank is 6'x2'x30", I want as much light as I can throw over the top because of the 30" depth.

I would definitely go with those, they're a great brand and 8-bulbs would be great for clams just about anywhere in the tank (y)

Bige said:
I missed the part where you would use 2 fixtures.

It's cool, thanks idream. I will probably go with those, I will save 400 vs. Halides and the actual cost of upkeep is much lower. If I do have issues with clams or corals I will just add some retros.

Have fun replacing SIXTEEN bulbs at once. I honestly think that's a bad idea, you'll be spending ~15 dollars per bulb come replacement time, so I think it would be better to find either a single fixture or 2 4 bulb fixtures.

I'm stressing replacing 12 bulbs on my 6 foot fixture LOL

But seriously, if he wants that output of lighting thats the way to go. They really don't make a better T5 fixture combination than what he has in mind.

It wouldn't provide enough light, you have to look at how large of a system I am trying to light. I am trying to get sufficient light in a deep tank that is also two feet wide to keep clams at the bottom. I just don't think four bulbs would cut it, a 12 bulb current fixture would probably work, but for a little more money I could add nearly 160 watts to my tank. Besides, the low running costs and bulb life more than warrant the 16 bulbs. I could make some awesome color combinations as well.

So I take it you second the idea to use the two 8 bulb fixtures from aquamedic Carey? Lol

nice so they have your system in thats good my systems on hold til next month til the beginning of july til i get the rest of my LR i have everything else in the garage

So I take it you second the idea to use the two 8 bulb fixtures from aquamedic Carey? Lol

If i could have done it I would have. The one Ihave I got real cheap so I had to jump on it. Plus I have a triple section tank, the two 36"s wouldn't have mounted right for my tastes. lol

If you can afford it i say go for it. You won't have any limits on what you could keep. :)

Last edited:
Have fun replacing SIXTEEN bulbs at once. I honestly think that's a bad idea, you'll be spending ~15 dollars per bulb come replacement time, so I think it would be better to find either a single fixture or 2 4 bulb fixtures.

Unless they all died at once he would never have to do that. Once it gets around the time for bulb replacement he should be replacing them maybe 2-3 at a time, so his fish/corals (mostly corals) won't get shocked by the intesified lighting (not only from a newer bulb, but one that puts out more PAR at that).

I saw use the stock bulbs (assuming it comes with some) until around the time for replacement, and start replacing every 2 every week, that way you can also stagger the replacement times when you have to do that again

Back
Top Bottom