Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used Natures Ocean white sand, never again. It showed everything and looked filthy all the time.

Nature's Ocean Marine White Sand at PETCO

Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hehe thats what I have in my pod tank. good thing its not supposed to be clean in there.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I hated it. I am asking Mr. X about the play sand before I decide to use it. I was planning on using aragonite sand.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
nice deal you got there
Old 05-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I know, I agreed to buy them, but the woman hasn't sent me her address so I can go get them.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
I couldn't tell you the actual specifics of the bulbs. They are just small T5 bulbs, like I said the tank was a freshwater setup I got for free. lol I will look later, thanks for the compliments, I need to clean it up a little more, but it is night and day from before I started.
What are you using to clean the tank? I need to clean my new 110g and 75g tanks, and I have heard SO MANY different things about what to use: iso alcohol, vinegar, only water ... I am lost.

I am new to the hobby (6mo) and for my first 55g tank, I used only water to clean but it took awhile.

Good luck on your build! I am waiting for my guy to come plumb in my new setup so I can get it to start cycling! I found a guy getting out of the hobby that wanted to help someone who was just starting ... he sold me his 110g/75g sump, lighting for both, skimmer, heaters, powerheads, air pumps, brand new RO/DI unit, AND built me a new stand for the sump so if I chose to put fish in it, it would be ground level for my toddlers to watch it. THIS GUY IS AMAZING! I am watching your new build, as well as careys, and am hoping that I will be able to take over such a massive setup as a newbie. I will keep consulting your posts for advice!!!!!!

SO GLAD I FOUND THIS AA BOARD

Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i use vinegar and water to clean out my tanks and maybe some baking soda for tough spots
Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
What substrate did you use for your current dsb? Have you actually seen a difference? I run 0 trates now and I have like 1 inch to 2 inches...
Is your DSB in your DT, sump, or both? I am asking both of you, carey and purevil, just because I am following both of your threads and want to see what you'll end up doing (considering you are pros and I am the newbie!)

Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will be using a deep sand bed in both my DT and refuge. I am no Pro, lol, but I will offer any advice I can to help. The deep beds require less maintenance and offer a better biological filter in my experience.

As far as cleaning, hot water and elbow grease!!! lol After I got the bulk of the junk off I used some clear vinegar and a clean sponge and rinsed it out after I was done. Works every time! Welcome to AA btw!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got ahold of the seller, I am picking up the halides Saturday!!!! Man I am way too excited about this. I know I am

Tags
20 gallon, 220 gallon, build, build thread, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com