Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2011, 02:07 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by merelymiche View Post
Is your DSB in your DT, sump, or both? I am asking both of you, carey and purevil, just because I am following both of your threads and want to see what you'll end up doing (considering you are pros and I am the newbie!)

Since I am also following both their threads too, I thought I would chime in too... I have a DSB in both of DT and sump. I'm also a newbie, I'm only on my second SW tank and my first one was over 5 years ago and only had it running for 6 months before I had to move. But in my first tank as well I had a DSB in both.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #82
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Since I am also following both their threads too, I thought I would chime in too... I have a DSB in both of DT and sump. I'm also a newbie, I'm only on my second SW tank and my first one was over 5 years ago and only had it running for 6 months before I had to move. But in my first tank as well I had a DSB in both.
Ironically, I just asked this exact question on another thread... to be specific, how much sand did you use? You might have more rock than I plan to start with, so I might need more sand. I figure HALF of what you used will be safe

Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I have an idea of how deep the sand should be in the sump (6 in or so) but what would the standard be for a dsb in the tank? 3" 4"?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a 4 inch bed in my old tank.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice Addict

mine is 4-6" I don't think a "flat" bottom looks natural... although neither does my rock lol.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #86
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'll be aiming for 4 inches in my 125g, my phone app for calculations told me 259 lbs for 4". What about the fuge below? Is it normal to have deeper sand in there?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always make sure to "sandscape" lol I like to have some variations of depth, not less than 4 inches anywhere in the tank though.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Basically anything more then 4" has such little water movement that it's not that much of a bonus. Just go deeper in some spots for looks that's all... and in a sump, 4" across the whole thing is fine.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

And the verdict is that pool filter sand or play sand is out because of lack of calcium that would be needed for reef growth? Is that what I am hearing?

Can I put crushed coral/oyster shell as the first 2", or would that not have the same effect as a 4" DSB?

The guy helping me with my setup said he noticed shifting of his rocks, even though he put the rocks first, sand second... he suggested using CC or OS as a base to give it less movement and brought a 5g bucket of it for me to use! Hard to pass up a free stash of substrate!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't use anything but sand, nitrate issues can arise using the CC. Some people have no issue with it, but I did. I wouldn't say you can't use play sand, but you would have to dose calcium, I am going to stick with the aragonite.

Tags
20 gallon, 220 gallon, build, build thread, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com