220 Gallon Reef-Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the same thing... that way if I want to shut my system down but I don't want the water in the DT to drop till the siphon breaks, I just close the valves.

My thought exactly. Think of it as a fail safe, in the event anything starts to go crazy and I need to shut down the system, it is as simple as shutting two valves. Then I am free to work on anything in the sump or fuge I need to without disturbing anything in my DT.

It's cool, feel free to follow along. I am by no means an expert, but I am going to do my best to piece this thing together.

I bought my lights! I have to pick them up tonight, if the woman would hurry and call me to come get them. Current USA 3x MH 72" fixture with lunar LED's, 175 bucks!

So since its all the rage today, what are you doing for substrate? Going with a dsb or just regular? I'm going with the pool filter sand myself. Figure I'll save $200!

DSB, like in my 65gallon. Less maintaining needed, and better natural filter.

What substrate did you use for your current dsb? Have you actually seen a difference? I run 0 trates now and I have like 1 inch to 2 inches...

Yeah, I hated it. I am asking Mr. X about the play sand before I decide to use it. I was planning on using aragonite sand.

Yeah I know, I agreed to buy them, but the woman hasn't sent me her address so I can go get them.

I couldn't tell you the actual specifics of the bulbs. They are just small T5 bulbs, like I said the tank was a freshwater setup I got for free. lol I will look later, thanks for the compliments, I need to clean it up a little more, but it is night and day from before I started.

What are you using to clean the tank? I need to clean my new 110g and 75g tanks, and I have heard SO MANY different things about what to use: iso alcohol, vinegar, only water ... I am lost.

I am new to the hobby (6mo) and for my first 55g tank, I used only water to clean but it took awhile.

Good luck on your build! I am waiting for my guy to come plumb in my new setup so I can get it to start cycling! I found a guy getting out of the hobby that wanted to help someone who was just starting ... he sold me his 110g/75g sump, lighting for both, skimmer, heaters, powerheads, air pumps, brand new RO/DI unit, AND built me a new stand for the sump so if I chose to put fish in it, it would be ground level for my toddlers to watch it. THIS GUY IS AMAZING! I am watching your new build, as well as careys, and am hoping that I will be able to take over such a massive setup as a newbie. I will keep consulting your posts for advice!!!!!!

SO GLAD I FOUND THIS AA BOARD :ROFLMAO:
:kiss:
:smitten:

i use vinegar and water to clean out my tanks and maybe some baking soda for tough spots

What substrate did you use for your current dsb? Have you actually seen a difference? I run 0 trates now and I have like 1 inch to 2 inches...

Is your DSB in your DT, sump, or both? I am asking both of you, carey and purevil, just because I am following both of your threads and want to see what you'll end up doing (considering you are pros and I am the newbie!)

:thanks:

I will be using a deep sand bed in both my DT and refuge. I am no Pro, lol, but I will offer any advice I can to help. The deep beds require less maintenance and offer a better biological filter in my experience.

As far as cleaning, hot water and elbow grease!!! lol After I got the bulk of the junk off I used some clear vinegar and a clean sponge and rinsed it out after I was done. Works every time! Welcome to AA btw!

Got ahold of the seller, I am picking up the halides Saturday!!!! Man I am way too excited about this. I know I am :deadhorse:

Back
Top Bottom