220 Gallon Reef-Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got the new tank ordered last night!!! I am still working out some of the bugs planning, but luckily I have some time before the tank gets here. The only pictures I have to post right now are a 55 gallon freshwater tank a friend gave me that is going to become a sump/refugium. I am really excited, and I know this is going to take a long time, but you have to start somewhere. haha I am picking up the supplies to build the sump and refugium this weekend, if anyone has any tips or advise feel free to offer it! I am cleaning the tank tomorrow afternoon, I will post some pics.

Attachments

• DSCN1752.jpg
    DSCN1752.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 309
good luck on the build i bet it turns out great gonna have so many options with that big of a tank i got a 180G im picking up saturday and i'm also gonna be uising a 55G as a sump

Hack, how are you dividing up your sump. You can see in the picture there are two section, each with a small light. I am thinking of removing the lid from one half and plumbing the overflows to that side. That half would be divided by three baffled to act as a bubble trap. I will put the skimmer in the first secrion, followed by rock rubble. Then the other half can be used as a refuge with a small section at the end for the return pump. I don't know how much lighting is necessary for a fuge though. Those lights may not be sufficient.

Why am I excited to go home and tear this tank apart to start this project? Lol

how i will devide it i have no idea yet ive never done a diy sump before the sump i have now i brough prebuilt so i will need to google to find out exactly how im going to do it so i wont screw it up lol

Lol, I'm right there with you. Hopefully I don't mess things up too badly.

Ok I have settled on a design, did plenty of researching today.

Plans for a 55gal sump/refugium - Reef Central Online Community

I like this setup, it is simple and hopefully effective, the only difference is I am going to make one half of the tank the refuge with a small section for the return at the end. I want a section for nothing but rubble before the refuge, so it will be four sections rather than three. Hopefully it all works out.

I will be doing the build for the sump this weekend. Pictures will start tomorrow, I did get the 55 cleaned out today, so it is ready to go.

i'll be following so i can see how you did it will make it easier for me when i get ready

you should be alright, but i personally would go with all T5s but thats just me. i don't liek the spot light effects that MH give and personally i think the shimmer is annoying

I love the way the MH look, but to each his own. I want to make sure that when I put clams on the bottom they are getting the light they need.

Following! When is the tank suppose to arrive?

I like the idea of having both T5's and MH, I wish we would have done that for our large tank. I feel the the T5's we have on ours currently just aren't cutting it (no actual evidence that it's true though haha all corals are happy).

6-8 weeks for the tank. It was a custom order so I have to be patient. For the price I am not complaining, it may be as soon as 4 weeks.

i thought about MH but with all the stuff i have to buy i dont think i will be able to afford the MH fixture so im probably gonna go with T5 unless i find a sale on a MH/t5 combo fixture

Following! When is the tank suppose to arrive?

I like the idea of having both T5's and MH, I wish we would have done that for our large tank. I feel the the T5's we have on ours currently just aren't cutting it (no actual evidence that it's true though haha all corals are happy).

might i ask what bulbs you're using? or even what fixture

maybe i missed that post but if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the whole setup?

I don't mind at all hack, $1,829.77 after taxes. That was for the tank, plumbing for both overflows, stand and canopy. Went with the tall stand and canopy, extra dark espresso. Yes, the wait is killing me!!! But I have to be patient, I am still going to need lights, pump, skimmer, and much more. I am buying the sump materials this weekend, I probably won't finish it, but I have plenty of time. Lol

Back
Top Bottom