Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks good. Nice tank. Does it have anything covering the water like glass or screen? You will probably want some good screen on top to stop anything jumping but also it won't prevent gas exchange.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
It looks good. Nice tank. Does it have anything covering the water like glass or screen? You will probably want some good screen on top to stop anything jumping but also it won't prevent gas exchange.
Hey,

Yeah it came with hinged glass tops so I'm gong to see how those work out, if they cut down on the gas exchange too bad I'll probably just leave the hinged part open during the day I have other animals in the house so some kind of tops are a neccesity. Thanks for the comments guys!

Andrew

Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Definitely do all of the interior of the stand with one or two coats of polyurethane to protect from water and salt creep.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Henry View Post
Along with returns from the sump there should be roughly 4800 gph which would be 21x turnover, I'm thinking about upgrading to the Koralia 8s for more flow!

Thanks!
I would go with more powerhead's instead of bigger ones. mayme 4 or 6 k-4's. It is much easier to control flow patterns with more pumps.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882 View Post
I would go with more powerhead's instead of bigger ones. mayme 4 or 6 k-4's. It is much easier to control flow patterns with more pumps.
True, they're just so big and gaudy, I'd hate to have to see that many of those ugly things all over the tank, so I'm really considering a pair of MP-40s which would add ~6,000 gph of flow for a total of almost 11,000 gph.. Just gotta justify the price...

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Henry View Post
Hey,

Yeah it came with hinged glass tops so I'm gong to see how those work out, if they cut down on the gas exchange too bad I'll probably just leave the hinged part open during the day I have other animals in the house so some kind of tops are a neccesity. Thanks for the comments guys!

Andrew
I have two cats and a dog. When I had a freshwater tank, the cats prefered to drink out of that. Just got the 150 Reef set up and the cat gave it a shot. The look on their face was priceless. Basically "Eww, no thanks" and haven't went back up there again.

If you are worried about cats, they know to stay away from saltwater.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I have two cats and a dog. When I had a freshwater tank, the cats prefered to drink out of that. Just got the 150 Reef set up and the cat gave it a shot. The look on their face was priceless. Basically "Eww, no thanks" and haven't went back up there again.

If you are worried about cats, they know to stay away from saltwater.

Now THATS funny!!!

eyring2210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, build, oceanic, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com