24 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joy13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been looking for a fish or two that is sps safe and doesn't jump. I have a 24 gallon aquapod with a metal halide so it will be open topped. I would like it to be hermit crab and snail safe but if not they can be moved to another tank. I have checked out the carpet surfers like firefish, wrasses, hawkfish. The coral munchers like blennies and gobies some of them like to carpet surf as well. My sand bed is about 2 inches deep so nothing like a watchman or jawfish. I have thought of 2 damsels but know they can get mean at anytime.

Don't you hate when you get to the bottom of the fish list and still havent found what you are looking for? LOL

Do you already have clowns in a tank? Or maybe a gramma or dottyback? I'm really stumped as you have gone through most of the fish I love to suggest for a smaller tank hehehe....

Lfs guy told me that dottybacks can be meaner than damsels?

I could do with only one fish in the tank without a problem since it is a small tank. Dotty backs are jumpers I found a local breeder that has some springers but since they are known to carpet surf they are out of the question.

I really don't care what fish it is as long as it doesn't jump or eat sps.

joy13 said:
I could do with only one fish in the tank without a problem since it is a small tank. Dotty backs are jumpers I found a local breeder that has some springers but since they are known to carpet surf they are out of the question.

I really don't care what fish it is as long as it doesn't jump or eat sps.

Why don't you get a mesh top or a net over your tank? You can have jumpers and the net won't affect the lighting.

The MH gets to hot it melts anything synthetic I have put on over it, I am afraid to use any natural fiber because of fire. If you have any good suggestions I will try it. Egg crate works but the holes are to big if I double it it is to tall for under the light.

Did you check out any of the fish I pm'd you with? I know it wasnt much but I gave it a lot of thought. lol

joy13 said:
The MH gets to hot it melts anything synthetic I have put on over it, I am afraid to use any natural fiber because of fire. If you have any good suggestions I will try it. Egg crate works but the holes are to big if I double it it is to tall for under the light.

You can get wire tops. Here is one you can just put on top of the frame because it's 11 3/4" wide but it's not long enough so you'll need 4

Yes I checked them out Carey I am thinking of a clown goby. Some are more sps safe than others I will be going to reefsmart and there will be plenty of experts there and usually there are several types there. If I want anything out of the ordinary I will have to let them know to get them and hold them ahead of time. There will be a geometric hawkfish for sure Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish
but in limited supply so if I am wanting it I will have to reserve one for myself.

I am working on getting a diy screen top made for my tank. I need to get clear netting for it but I can replace the netting I am going to use when I find that. I am considering a watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair, I know people either love or hate their pistol shrimp. Then one other fish probably a fire fish or maybe a yellow striped cardinal. I have to figure out how to get the goby and shrimp to build a burrow so I can watch them is all. I spend way to much time in front of my tanks already.

Back
Top Bottom