Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

24 gallon stocking ideas

I have been looking for a fish or two that is sps safe and doesn't jump. I have a 24 gallon aquapod with a metal halide so it will be open topped. I would like it to be hermit crab and snail safe but if not they can be moved to another tank. I have checked out the carpet surfers like firefish, wrasses, hawkfish. The coral munchers like blennies and gobies some of them like to carpet surf as well. My sand bed is about 2 inches deep so nothing like a watchman or jawfish. I have thought of 2 damsels but know they can get mean at anytime.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Don't you hate when you get to the bottom of the fish list and still havent found what you are looking for? LOL

Do you already have clowns in a tank? Or maybe a gramma or dottyback? I'm really stumped as you have gone through most of the fish I love to suggest for a smaller tank hehehe....

Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lfs guy told me that dottybacks can be meaner than damsels?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I could do with only one fish in the tank without a problem since it is a small tank. Dotty backs are jumpers I found a local breeder that has some springers but since they are known to carpet surf they are out of the question.

I really don't care what fish it is as long as it doesn't jump or eat sps.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
I could do with only one fish in the tank without a problem since it is a small tank. Dotty backs are jumpers I found a local breeder that has some springers but since they are known to carpet surf they are out of the question.

I really don't care what fish it is as long as it doesn't jump or eat sps.
Why don't you get a mesh top or a net over your tank? You can have jumpers and the net won't affect the lighting.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The MH gets to hot it melts anything synthetic I have put on over it, I am afraid to use any natural fiber because of fire. If you have any good suggestions I will try it. Egg crate works but the holes are to big if I double it it is to tall for under the light.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Did you check out any of the fish I pm'd you with? I know it wasnt much but I gave it a lot of thought. lol
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
The MH gets to hot it melts anything synthetic I have put on over it, I am afraid to use any natural fiber because of fire. If you have any good suggestions I will try it. Egg crate works but the holes are to big if I double it it is to tall for under the light.
You can get wire tops. Here is one you can just put on top of the frame because it's 11 3/4" wide but it's not long enough so you'll need 4
Old 11-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I checked them out Carey I am thinking of a clown goby. Some are more sps safe than others I will be going to reefsmart and there will be plenty of experts there and usually there are several types there. If I want anything out of the ordinary I will have to let them know to get them and hold them ahead of time. There will be a geometric hawkfish for sure Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish
but in limited supply so if I am wanting it I will have to reserve one for myself.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops didn't post the link http://www.ablekitchen.com/supplies/...campaign=feeds

Tags
24 gallon, stocking, stocking ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com