24-hr Cycle without Shrimp or Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got in today a Dr Fosters Booklet. and on the front cover it has 24 hr Cycle. So I open the book and see what it was all about and low in behold they have come up with a way to make the Tank Cycle with in 24 hr? It's call the ONE AND ONLY NITRIFYING BACTERIA. I know there where probably other products out there like this but I never knew you can cycle a Tank with in 24hrs...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...er knew you can cycle a Tank with in 24hrs...http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18986&prodid=39172&catid=1286

I looked into that just now.. Read on some other forums that it looks like it works. The reviews I read they had great success... I also checked out the website FAQ. For saltwater it even explained that if you are curing live rock it helps speed the process as well. Could be interesting stuff.

I don't think I would ever used this product, I just wanted to share with everyone that it's out there if question come around about cycling with in 24 hrs. Which in my personal preference I would rather do it the old fashion way....

Best way to find out is use the product and see if you get any parameter spikes. I have my doubts and more than likely once a bioload such as fish are added a spike of some sort will occur.

I also have my doubts about it. Usually in this hobby things done quickly end up badly.

I agree, once a bioload is added, there will probably be a spike. There is also no telling how long a specific bottle is sitting on the shelf. I would also point out, shipping from the factory (cold/hot) weather, sitting in a warehouse and shipping and sitting on a LFS's shelf.....

I read that same thing in the latest catalog, and it really lowered my normally high expectations from the good Drs. It's one thing to sell things that are described to allow cycling overnight... shoot - that's just the verbage the manufacturer/distributor gives them. But to go and write an "article" about no-cycling... just add a bottle of this and you're good to go... well - that just sounds like a company selling the latest "you don't need to wait" solution to impatient, money-spending customers. But then, they're a business and have to sell product, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Granted... the stuff they're talking about is made by the guy that brought us Bio-Spira from Marineland, which is one of the few bottled bacteria solutions I've heard anything decent about. (Back when it was still "Marineland" and the stuff was sold refrigerated.) But promoting the whole "you don't have to cycle" thing just rubbed me the wrong way I guess.

I agree, I guess a good "humane" test would be to use it in a QT and after the 24 hours add some food and see if you get any spikes....
Regardless, I like the old fashioned way, it gives me time to research and plan for my tank.

I am with you guys on the Old Fashion way. But I think the only thing it may be good for is a Fry tank or a QT tank... but I would never use it for a Main Display or even use it at all. What's wrong with cycling with a Piece of Shrimp? I see nothing wrong with that. But like you said Kurt, people want to spend that money in a hurry to a hobby that take months to accomplish....

The thing that really gets me about that "article" is that it states:

"After initial dosing you will be able to safely add one medium-sized fish per gallon."

Safely? Really? I feel sorry for the 55 medium-sized fish in some poor schmuck's 55g! When I see stuff like this written, it just casts a bad light on all the rest of the "recommendations" that are in the catalog.

The thing that really gets me about that "article" is that it states:

"After initial dosing you will be able to safely add one medium-sized fish per gallon."

Safely? Really? I feel sorry for the 55 medium-sized fish in some poor schmuck's 55g! When I see stuff like this written, it just casts a bad light on all the rest of the "recommendations" that are in the catalog.

Hey I have a 55G... So..... Are you saying I am a Schmuck for having a 55 G HUH????.... LOL...

HMMM I am going to have to reconsider things.
By those numbers I am vastly understocked on all of my tanks.
I have been going about this all wrong ;)

I just went out and bought those dream fishes that were always to big for my tank. Some eels, sea basses and a few tangs to go. Wow, I'm glad I read that Fosters articule. ;)

Back
Top Bottom