Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-12-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
240 gallon

ok so talking it over with the hubby and we can agree on a 96x18x30 have a huge cabinet that will be reinforced. talked to lfs can get acrylic tank with overflow for about 1600 to 1700. a hood with lighting for 550. my question is what kind of filtering? can i do my own sump thing. is that filtering? any ideas? i can get pink samoan sand for about 30.00 for a 50lb bag. will need 300lbs right? how much live rock? like the figi. trying to get an idea on all this so i can give him a round about figure on all this stuff. how many heaters. powerheads. can i heat out of the sump thing ?what about a uv sterilizer?

luvmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wow can't wait to see the pics of this tank you are getting. I think ususally it's one to two pounds per gallon for the rock. Yep you can put the heater in the sump. As far as how many powerheads, I'm sure someone else will chime in on that, I bet it's going to be a beautiful tank, are you going reef or just fish?

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 11:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
as far as heaters i would go with the titanium heaters. with that kind of initial investment you wouldn't want to lose all your livestock because of a broken heater. go with like 2 or 3 300 watters. as for the powerheads it all depends on how you want to plumb your tank. if your doing a sump you may want to think about doing a rather large pump with maybe some kind of a SCWD or wavemaker to reduce the amount of powerheads actually in the tank. just my opinion. search around and ask what others with simalar setups are using. just be patient and don't rush. this is definatly something i would like to see though so keep us posted with pictures. i'm sure whatever you choose it will be amazing.
"The brighter you are, the more you have to learn."
-Don Herold
kribbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
For large tanks I suggest going multiple pumps. Maybe have one pump or two on your sump returns and then maybe a third for a closed loop circulation.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

40 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com