240 watts of compact flouresent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would go with 2 175s on a 55. 250's may be a bit much for that tank. You have to consider the heat issue associated with MH bulbs. I have a 120 with 2 175s on it.

I would go with 2 175s on a 55. 250's may be a bit much for that tank. You have to consider the heat issue associated with MH bulbs. I have a 120 with 2 175s on it.

ok so with the 175 i could handle any coral in my tank

With dual 175s you could handle any corals. I have tons of SPS in my system along with soft corals and zoas all are doing well.

ok so i was about to order the 175 but someone gave me a deal and now the debate begins again

is 225 watts of t-5 lighting good. if yes then ill just probably buy that cause he is giving me a great deal.

The T5s will penetrate the water better then the PCs will but you will still be below what you need to really support SPS corals. Depending on what kind of fixture the T5 is and what kind of deal you are getting it may not be the best option.

The T5s will penetrate the water better then the PCs will but you will still be below what you need to really support SPS corals. Depending on what kind of fixture the T5 is and what kind of deal you are getting it may not be the best option.

NOVA Extreme 48" T-5 Fixture 4 x 54W by Current USA* - AquaCave

that is the fixture he is offering me and the price is for only 100 bucks he used it for one month only.

but if you think the 175 will be better considering the price too then ill just past up on this one.

That is a pretty good deal on that fixture. With 4x54w you would be able to keep most corals and SPS at the very top of the tank. If you get the bug (sps bug that is) then you will end up having to upgrade down the road to either MH or more T5s.

Well the metal halides has to wait i got the t5's for free, and i loved the Actinic Blue on on the t5's so i was wondering if i could go with all Actinic Blue and not have any daylight. Would my corals be fine with all Actinic Blue? NO sps it has to wait to since the metal halides has wait.

I have VHO retro fits on mine. I use 2 50/50 and 2 super actinic. I dont think you would like actinic light only. You can check out mine in my images.

I have VHO retro fits on mine. I use 2 50/50 and 2 super actinic. I dont think you would like actinic light only. You can check out mine in my images.

Well right now i have a 2 white and 2 Actinic Blue t5 with pc lighting and when i have everything but the Actinic Blue off i actually like it so could i change the pc lighting to all actinic and just have one t5 white bulb...so that would give me a little white light in the tank. But the reason im asking is because i want to make sure that Actinic bulbs could suppot corals just because its not bright like the white ones.

The actinic will definitely support coral life but as I said it`s just not pleasing to the eye. At least not mine. LOL

The actinic will definitely support coral life but as I said it`s just not pleasing to the eye. At least not mine. LOL

So all Actinic will support corals thanks. ill just have one white bulbs to have a little white light in there then and if i dont like it ill just change the bulbs back to how it was then.

You really need full spectrum to get growth out of your corals. A balance of white and actinic is needed for a healthy reef.

The actinics will not provide all the energy the corals will need to thrive.

You really need full spectrum to get growth out of your corals. A balance of white and actinic is needed for a healthy reef.

The actinics will not provide all the energy the corals will need to thrive.

Ohhhh...but i came up with a solution since i view the tank mostly towards the end time of my lighting hours for the tank, ill just turn off all whites and just leave the last hour for actinic. since i wont be home but the last hour to view the tank anyways.

Thanks for both your helps...this site has giving me lots of knowledge pix of my tank will be up when everything is complete i dont like to show whats not complete.

Back
Top Bottom