250 watt mh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flame82

Aquarium Advice Freak
would a 250 metal halide be to much for a 30 gallon? and i would have to have a pc antic to right, and if so how many watts for antic ?

flame82 said:
would a 250 metal halide be to much for a 30 gallon?
Depends on the length and depth of the tank but short answer is no. You can easily elevate the light to reduce heat & intensity.

and i would have to have a pc antic to right,
Completely up to you. Actinic lighting is an asthetic choice, not a requirement. You can use a higher kelvin rated MH (bluer) but keep in mind the higher you go, the slower the coral growth rate will be.

and if so how many watts for antic ?
Again it depends on length and width but you would probabley do fine with a 75W VHO, 55 or 65w PC, or one or two 28W T5HO

Cheers
Steve

I would be concerned with heat with that setup. You could raise it up to eliminate heat but then you would lower the intensity defeating the point of having a MH.

Actually with a 250 w Bulb, you don't really affect performance too much until it's elevated beyond 18" from the water line. If a larger tank this would be more of a concern but given the possible depth of a 30 (unless a tall), it shouldn't be too bad.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom