Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks everyone!
My tank is 29g and it's been running for a few years. I only have 2 clowns, some mushrooms, and a CUC. I did have an algae problem a few months ago but it's almost gone thanks to the new additions to my CUC. I did change the filter I had since the other broke and now running a really noisy BioWheel 350 w/out the wheels... for the media I use Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen in one compartment and in the other I use regular carbon pad (stock) with a Phosphate pad. I also just added a SeaClone 100protein skimmer which is working phenomenal. (I was running it without one since my LFS suggested me to)

Currently my water parameters are :
.25 Ammonia
.01 Nitrite
5.0 Nitrate

And yes I tested my tap water and it read .25 Ammonia but ever since then I've been using distilled water.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try daily 20% water changes and check your stocking limit on AqAdvisor. Maybe something is in your food

Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And 5.0 is quite low for nitrate btw. Not a big deal just letting you know
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm worried more about the Ammonia and Nitrite...I want em to read 0 so I can add a cleaner shrimp
Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestor29 View Post
I'm worried more about the Ammonia and Nitrite...I want em to read 0 so I can add a cleaner shrimp
Here's what I recommend to anyone using an API test kit.... the ammo test is never going to be as yellow as the color on the card. What you are looking for is more of a "lack of green" rather than that bright yellow they depict.
Either make sure your RODI water is truely 0 TDS, or go spend a couple bucks and get yourself a gallon of distilled water from the grocery, and mix up some salt water to your specifications. Now run two ammo tests side-by-side, one with tank water, and one with the control sample of known clean water..... if they come up the same color, you have no ammo. If your tank has been up & running for a few years, I'm venturing a guess and saying no have no ammo, it's just the way you're reading the test.

One other question.... If you're using an API test kit, how are you getting 0.01 Nitrite when the test reads in 0.25 increments up to 1ppm?

EDIT: just went back & saw that you are using distilled for your pwc's, so do the above with your mixed water. Another note.... It may seem cheap to buy a few gallons of distilled water at a time, but if you add those up over the long haul, you will come out far cheaper in the end to pick yourself up an RODI unit.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

What's a good inexpensive RO/DI system?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestor29 View Post
What's a good inexpensive RO/DI system?
$100-$150, take in the cost of distilled water, weekly water changes and gas, and it will pay for itself in 3 months. A necessity in keeping a successful reef.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You can find some good deals on ebay. Some less than a hundred dollars.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just bought an RO/DI unit from these guys. Someone else recommended it to me so we will see how it goes but they were very inexpensive and she has had hers almost a year.

Purewaterclub.com.

I will be hooking mine up and testing it this weekend. I was buying RO water from the store but tested it and it still showed having phosphates... 0_o...that's why I decided to try this out. Someone else also said that their LFS will sometimes have used units for sale. I had already ordered this so I never checked mine.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranque

Here's what I recommend to anyone using an API test kit.... the ammo test is never going to be as yellow as the color on the card. What you are looking for is more of a "lack of green" rather than that bright yellow they depict.
Either make sure your RODI water is truely 0 TDS, or go spend a couple bucks and get yourself a gallon of distilled water from the grocery, and mix up some salt water to your specifications. Now run two ammo tests side-by-side, one with tank water, and one with the control sample of known clean water..... if they come up the same color, you have no ammo. If your tank has been up & running for a few years, I'm venturing a guess and saying no have no ammo, it's just the way you're reading the test.

One other question.... If you're using an API test kit, how are you getting 0.01 Nitrite when the test reads in 0.25 increments up to 1ppm?

EDIT: just went back & saw that you are using distilled for your pwc's, so do the above with your mixed water. Another note.... It may seem cheap to buy a few gallons of distilled water at a time, but if you add those up over the long haul, you will come out far cheaper in the end to pick yourself up an RODI unit.
Just an FYI many, if not most, freshly mixed sw will test positive for ammonia, as ammonia is used in the processing of the synthetic salt. So this advice is not necessarily accurate. A better method would be to test the FW used to make up the salt to get a color reference, and expect the tank water to be the same color, just a tad cloudy.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com