26 Gallon Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OptimusPrime

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I've got a 26 gallon bowfront aquarium with roughly 26 pounds of cured dry rock and 40 pounds of live sand. I'm an extremely green aquarist, with all sorts of questions. My fiancé and I added our first two fish today, an ocellaris clownfish and a black clownfish. Unfortunately, hours after we addd them the black clown fish had died. Before we went to the LFS today, I tested the water for ammonia and nitrites, both zero. salinity was 1.023 temp 77.4.

Anyway, at this point my main question is about flow. I removed my 700 gph powerhead and replaced it with a 500gph. I felt that the 700 was too much flow, it just looked violent on the fish. At this point, I'm starting to wonder if the 500GPH is too much for the remaining clownfish. Where do people recommend placing the powerhead for optimal fish health in a bow front? More specifically, to get flow without the whirlpool effect? What size powerhead would you recommend for my tank?

Also, do LFS typically have any guarantees on fish or is that unheard of in the industry?

Thanks to all that read this thread,

Prime

What kind of filtration do you use? How long has the tank been set up? How did you acclimate the fish? We're they the same breed of clown? (Mixed breeds will fight) sorry all the questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have an Aquaclear HOB filter, system has been up and running for 6-8 weeks cycling. I drip acclimated the fish, and they came out of the same tank at the LFS. I guess I'm not 100% sure if they were the same breed.

I do intend to pick up a HOB protein skimmer over the weekend, would my HOB filter still be necessary, or should that be eliminated?

Prime

So, after almost ten days and 3 more dead clown fish I have determined that I have brooklynella in my tank. The regular clown died a few days after my post, I then brought my water to the LFS to have it tested and got a clean bill of health. He told me that I likely just got bad fish. Well, the fish he sold me died within 24 hours of the same cause. Based on the pictures I've seen of brooklynella, I'm certain that it's my culprit.

I have added 3 green chromis to my tank and they seem to be doing great, they eat well and swim all around the tank. Most importantly, they have been alive for more than 24 hours. My question is, how long will this parasite last if it doesn't host on the chromis? What do people recommend for me to eliminate this from my tank?

It's super frustrating because I probably have $1000 or more invested in this 26 gallon tank and for the most part its just been full of nothing but saltwater.

Thanks,

Prime

Back
Top Bottom