Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should i be worried about keeping the fish in the big tub?? Our LFS owner would definitely hold our fish for us but its just under an hour drive into the city..maybe more with the blizzard we just had haha. Will the fish be in any danger in the tub? I was hoping there wouldn't be much of a cycle if we just put the top rocks in (which have the corals) and the fish into the bucket. Maybe a bucket of sand so the wrasse can burrow himself since I'm sure they will all be scared/stressed.

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay fish, rock, sand and corals all moved to bins.

Tank is now completely empty

fish and corals

base rock

hope the light isn't too close for the corals

Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

good luck, are you having someone fix the seal for you?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
sorry to hear about that hope everything turns out good for your tank
Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I tried to fix a seal on I 125 gal before but the glass had a warp to it. The tank was scrap. Hope you have better luck. And if you take all the sand out and put it in buckets , you will definitely have a die off and a cycle or algea outbreak. I had A bulkhead break on me like 2 months ago and that resulted in a huge algea outbreak. Not to mention the mess. But I never lost anything
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

My dad and our LFS owner will be attempting the fix tomorrow while I'm at school. I really hope it's fixable, my dad has put a lot of money into this tank. We decided to put some of the sand in a bin with a heater and some of it just in buckets. The sand in the buckets will be rinsed many times before we put it back into the tank. We will also wait at least a week to make sure there is no cycle when the tank is back up and running....if all goes well that is.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

best of luck on the fix hope for the best! With that size and expense of item in the tank I wouldn't risk a patch job do it right and take the hole panel off IMO. when silicone is stressed it does that air pocket deal I would also check the stand/floor and make sure it hasn't failed you in some way and put the stress on the tank in the first place. a 4 corner "X" string test might help tell if the stand is warped
test = 4 blocks(all exact same) screwed down(on each corner) then run string in a X patten (pulled very tight) if the strings in the middle don't hit or hit so much one hold up the other then table is warped. anything over a 1/8 IMO is tooooo much for a tank that size. a level kinda works but you can get errors in the bubble reading. Good luck
Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Darwin that's a really good idea to check if its level! I let my dad know about it

They ended up removing the end panel, striping the silicone, and re-siliconing it back in place. It went pretty smoothly with only a few minor cuts to the fingers :P They think that the black piece that was attached the the glass panel might be what caused the failed seal. It was cut wrong and was actually bigger than the panel itself. This would have caused stress especially if the black piece was expanding/contracting at all.

We will be waiting probably 3 or 4 days before checking for leaks since my dad wants to make sure its 100% dry.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Awesome job. How do the fish seem to be doing?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

They all seem to be fine . I Bought a small eibli tang a few weeks ago that i tried to put in the tank..the coral beauty intermediately attacked. I moved the tang to my seahorse tank temporarily. I am now going to try to add the tang to the large tank again. I'm going to add him first with the cardinals probably and am going to leave the angel in the sump for awhile. Hopefully he does okay..hes a very cute little fishy.

Tags
60 gallon, leak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com