265 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of footprint are we dealing with? How about the height under the stand? I suggest a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume. Look for air draw- the more air a skimmer pump pulls, the better.

I have about 26" from the bottom of the sump to the bottom of the aquarium. The sump is 18 deep x 36 long x 17 tall. The chamber I was hoping to put the sump in is 17 x 11 x 17 tall. The entire stand is 84 x 24 x 32. I don't know what kind of equipment I am going to run yet but I know I need a skimmer to start. I'm just having trouble choosing one there are many opinions and many sizes. Although it seems the bigger you go the less choices I can find. Maybe I'm not looking at the right places though?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I finally got the tank filled and plugged in the pump. The pump is over powering my overflows. There is no drop of water in the overflows. Is there any way to slow down the pump? If not I guess I need to buy a new smaller one. I can't drain anymore water then I already am. At least I had no leaks

You can put a ball valve on the pump return line to throttle it down a bit. How many gallons per hour is your pump, and what size plumbing are your overflows and how many do you have?

I have 2 one inch overflowsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439749156.031544.jpg
The pump is 35.6 gallons per minute with one inch plumbing also

Why do you think it's overpowering it? If it was overpowering it, then water would be coming up and back out of the overflow into the tank, and the raise the water level of the tank itself...

If it's not doing that I think you're ok, you might just have a lot of water in your system.

What's the level in the sump return chamber doing when the pump is on?

The pump wasn't running in the picture

How long have you left the pump on for? Have you tried to just let it go until the water gets to the top of the overflow?

Yes I have I have it running now. I just realized if I plug the hole in the top of the 1 inch cap that I thought I was supposed to put it starts to work. Why do I need a small hole in this cap. That's what I read to do for the overflow maybe I was wrong?

Hmmmm. The hole is usually to allow the water to drain smoothly without chugging, and to keep noise down... I thought at least.

Dunno why it would work better with plugging it to be honest. Mr. X could probably give you a good reason though...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439762551.011259.jpg
Well despite all my rookie issues the tank is starting to look good (at least IMO). I threaded two ball valves into the holes I drilled in the top of my overflows and with a lot of tweaking I got them working better although I still feel I have to much flow with the main pump. Going to test my water and add some food and hopefully start cycling this thing

You can put a ball or gate valve on your return line to limit the flow. You're MUCH better off doing that than any sort of valve on your drain lines...

I did have a ball valve and with closing it just a bit I was able to get it running good. The water has cleared up so I'm going to start cycling the tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439855181.854922.jpg

Quick question I am working on making a canopy for my tank and plan on using led's to light the tank. Should I cover the tank? I want something over it so fish and possibly eels won't get out but would just some sort of screen work?

You could make a fully covered canopy if you like, or a clear mesh top (check out bulk reef supply dot com for a nice DIY mesh top) or run no top at all.

"Eggcrate" light diffuser has pretty large holes. It works fine as long as you don't have fish that can fit through those holes, plus, it does block some light.

So the tank is cycling great now I am trying to make up a stock list and decide what fish to introduce first. I want an emperor angel and some kind of eel. Other than that I don't really know. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom