Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

265g tank relocation

So I'm thinking about when I move houses and transfer this 265g tank. How would you move all of the water?? 55g plastic drums? That kind of seems nuts. Advice? Thanks!

Old 02-10-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How much sand is in the tank? Personally if I was able I'd fill 5 gallon buckets with live rock and top off with aquarium water, dump the rest of the water keeping just enough to keep the sand covered and move it like that if at all possible and fill the tank with new water. You could save the water but why? I'd mostly be concerned about mixing up the sand bed and keeping the live rock in water.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I could save the water to prevent having to cycle the tank in the new location.

I have a 2" sand bed. Of course the rock and sand would be shipped in a bin with water but I think, keeping 75% (200g ish) of the old water would be a simple 25% water change.

If I keep 50g and have to add over 200g of new water, the tank would have to cycle, no?
Old 02-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The tank should not need cycling just from changing water?
The BB are in/on the rock and sand ...
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

BB?

I mean, am I wrong? When you start up a new tank with new water, a tank needs to cycle..

If I add 200g of new water, it changes the ecosystem in the new tank. It would need to cycle, no? I could be wrong.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #6

I've been doing saltwater since 2011 I'm still learning but I was also taught that bb isn't in the water but mostly found in the sand bed and live rock. I also haven't been doing aquariums in the last 2 years until now but unless some new discovery happened in that time I'm standing my ground on this. If you can move it with out touching the sand bed then don't touch it because it's been filtering stuff since you set it up and all the bb is on the surface. The live rock is also covered in bb so keep it in water. If you disturb the sand bed to much it will release all the nutrients it's been filtering causing an ammonia spike. My phone died sorry for the delay. Coralbandit beat me to it. Don't worry about water it's gonna be cheaper buying salt and more efficient than transporting your dirty aquarium water
Old 02-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #7

Bb means beneficial bacteria
Old 02-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thoroughly rinse the sand if you disturb it ,like putting it in buckets..
A good rinse to remove all the other nutrients and then the LR will still be in force and not have to deal with spikes from the disrupted sand.....Some just replace he sand depending how old it is..Many don't need as much as your tank though..
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #9

Bb only forms on solids the water can be replaced with no problem. If you mess with that sand bed you're gonna have issues because you'll burry the beneficial bacteria and let all the nutrients out. It's like a compost barrel. You throw all your carrot tops in and turn it so it turns to dirt but if you turn it back you just got rotting carrots
Old 02-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #10

If you absolutely have to take it out to move it do what coralbandit said but also be prepared for your tank to go crazy so have salt and water ready to do water changes

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com