265g tank relocation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wwidener

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm thinking about when I move houses and transfer this 265g tank. How would you move all of the water?? 55g plastic drums? That kind of seems nuts. Advice? Thanks!

How much sand is in the tank? Personally if I was able I'd fill 5 gallon buckets with live rock and top off with aquarium water, dump the rest of the water keeping just enough to keep the sand covered and move it like that if at all possible and fill the tank with new water. You could save the water but why? I'd mostly be concerned about mixing up the sand bed and keeping the live rock in water.

I could save the water to prevent having to cycle the tank in the new location.

I have a 2" sand bed. Of course the rock and sand would be shipped in a bin with water but I think, keeping 75% (200g ish) of the old water would be a simple 25% water change.

If I keep 50g and have to add over 200g of new water, the tank would have to cycle, no?

BB?

I mean, am I wrong? When you start up a new tank with new water, a tank needs to cycle..

If I add 200g of new water, it changes the ecosystem in the new tank. It would need to cycle, no? I could be wrong.

I've been doing saltwater since 2011 I'm still learning but I was also taught that bb isn't in the water but mostly found in the sand bed and live rock. I also haven't been doing aquariums in the last 2 years until now but unless some new discovery happened in that time I'm standing my ground on this. If you can move it with out touching the sand bed then don't touch it because it's been filtering stuff since you set it up and all the bb is on the surface. The live rock is also covered in bb so keep it in water. If you disturb the sand bed to much it will release all the nutrients it's been filtering causing an ammonia spike. My phone died sorry for the delay. Coralbandit beat me to it. Don't worry about water it's gonna be cheaper buying salt and more efficient than transporting your dirty aquarium water

Thoroughly rinse the sand if you disturb it ,like putting it in buckets..
A good rinse to remove all the other nutrients and then the LR will still be in force and not have to deal with spikes from the disrupted sand.....Some just replace he sand depending how old it is..Many don't need as much as your tank though..

Bb only forms on solids the water can be replaced with no problem. If you mess with that sand bed you're gonna have issues because you'll burry the beneficial bacteria and let all the nutrients out. It's like a compost barrel. You throw all your carrot tops in and turn it so it turns to dirt but if you turn it back you just got rotting carrots

If you absolutely have to take it out to move it do what coralbandit said but also be prepared for your tank to go crazy so have salt and water ready to do water changes

Would it be better to replace the sand bed with new live sand?

Everyone, I have another thread called "mixing station salinity" also. I appreciate all of your help. Thanks!

I am switching my marine fish and shrooms from my 75 to 120 and I plan on taking very little sub. Only what the shrooms are attached to. I will move the old live rock into my sump as the new sump is large [60g frag tank] .I may actually run both tanks off the one filter for a couple days but in doing so I am setting my self up for more water changes in the new 120 to get it back to new condition..Whatever is in my old water is not important and actually what I want gone ,but hooking both together for me will allow me not to have to rush ..So I will change water big in the beginning..
Keeping marine tanks since the late 1980's I expect little issue with method..Hopefully the cured LR from the 75 in the new sump will be all I need to not have major problems..The 75 is at least 4-5 years old so I really don't want the sub...I am sure it is going to stink like mad once the water is removed...

If you replace your sand bed with live sand you will get a ammonia spike because the prepackaged bag of sand is still and most of what's in it is dead. It basically just helps the cycle process. I have had snails come out of bags of live sand but honestly it's just hit or miss on how fresh the bag is. I've given up on live sand and started using silica sand because I like the color and the grains are really fine. It leaches some stuff causing it to look brown but goes away with water changes and good water flow. I've known other people to use play sand but I like the white that silica sand gives. If you can get away with leaving the original sandbed alone you'll be fine

Coralbandit should connect the 2 and slowly add to the other over time and get 2 awesome aquariums or use the old as a frag tank and sell them. Even if you don't make a profit you could support your aquarium costs

Coralbandit should connect the 2 and slowly add to the other over time and get 2 awesome aquariums or use the old as a frag tank and sell them. Even if you don't make a profit you could support your aquarium costs

My fish room supports itself from my FW breeding efforts !:whistle:I am out of control !:dance:
I really want the 75 out of fish room so I can stack growouts...:nono:
The 75 will be refashioned into a freshwater vivarium of some sort in room with 120 but I agree with the large sump it could run both tanks. It now has all hardware for both tanks in it but only the 75 is running.. The 120 is running on a temp 20 long in the stand still...

Back
Top Bottom