29 Biocube HQI reef stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update, I currently have stocked:

2 true perc clowns
1 six line wrasse
1 sand starfish
1 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 emerald crab
Assorted crabs and snails

What would you guys add to this group if it were you?

Just added a yasha goby and tiger pistol shrimp pair!

Me too!! I love these guys. The shrimp won't stop remodeling their little pile of sand.

Update, I currently have stocked:

2 true perc clowns
1 six line wrasse
1 sand starfish
1 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
1 emerald crab
Assorted crabs and snails

What would you guys add to this group if it were you?

You'll probably need a fish that can stand up for itself since the clowns and six line have had time establish territory. You could do a couple of blue reef chromis. Or an orchid or purple dottyback. Maybe a couple of cardinals.

Those are great fish, you say a couple, I could have that many fish in my tank?

What about a mandarin? I just got back from the lfs and saw one. Really cool fish.

mandarins require a established tank of a year or so
tons of pods till you train him to eat frozen

Fair enough, I also think I want a fish that is more of a mid to top level swimmer to make my tank more active.

Those are great fish, you say a couple, I could have that many fish in my tank?

What about a mandarin? I just got back from the lfs and saw one. Really cool fish.

I wouldn't suggest a mandarin at this time. Chromis are really active middle of the tank swimmers. I have blue- green because I couldn't find any blue at the time, but I think the blue reef ones are prettier IMO.
In my 30g, I have:
1 yellowheaded jawfish
1 Firefish
1 half black angel
1 occ clown
1 chalk bass
1 honey-red chromis

And my water parameters are fine and the fish get along fine without any aggression. I've never had hair algae or cyano. I do have an AC 70 and an ac30 on there, though. And about 35-40# LR. So, lots of filtration. And I'm good about doing PWCs. So, if you have really good filtration and keep up on regular PWCs, then yes, you can do about 5-6 small fish.

This is what I was thinking, and doesn't fill the column I am looking to fill with activity.

I have 30 lbs of LR and I am starting my fuge next week. Would you say chromis are my best bet?

This is what I was thinking, and doesn't fill the column I am looking to fill with activity.

I have 30 lbs of LR and I am starting my fuge next week. Would you say chromis are my best bet?

Chromis are good fish and swim around a lot if its activity you're looking for. I like my chromis.

I'm at a crossroads with a chromis or a coral beauty, the 50/50 is tempting yet frightening on it nipping corals!

I have a flame angel and as everyone says it is unpredictable. Somehow it starts nipping on my leather fan coral. I value it more than my coral so it stays with my yellow tang which both get along pretty well.

I am tempted to setup a fowlr tank just for an angel!!! Time to start convincing the girlfriend.

Still clueless as to what to add to my current biocube.

I am tempted to setup a fowlr tank just for an angel!!! Time to start convincing the girlfriend.

Still clueless as to what to add to my current biocube.

Haha. That's why I have my FOWLR; the angel started eating my corals, so I set one up and put him in it. :) Was a good excuse to have another tank.

I would get an orchid or neon Dottyback or even springerii if you can afford it.

I decided to roll the dice and get a coral beauty which will complete my stock for fish! Fingers crossed.

As far as corals go...to start I would get rid of the Kenya tree,not only will it get big but then it's branches fall off and then they take over your tank.i had one and little pieces where everywhere.i got rid of mine and I still have little pieces.depending on corals you have the right lights for anything.in my opinion I would invest in a chiller before any new corals ,those lights throw off a lot of heat.

+1 to getting rid of the Kenya tree. I thought mine looked really good for about 3 months. I picked it up for free through a classified add off a guy near me. After it grew a bit it started dropping branches. Now I have 4 little ones and the mother looks really weird. I am thinking I may just give most of them to my LFS since they won't even give any credit for them. I hate to just throw a living thing away.

Eh my tank is so empty concerning corals ill just leave it for now I think. I will most likely kick myself for this later.
I picked up a gonipora and a birds nest today. The guy at the store informed me that I should get LEDs and only run my MH a few hours a day vs the 6 I am running it now. He said it can burn my corals, can anyone shed some light on this or send me in a DIY solution?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom