Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

29 Biocube HQI reef stocking

Hey everyone, I am in the process of stocking my tank. As of now I have:
2 perc clowns ( 1 orange & 1 black )
1 six line wrasse

Inverts:
2 turbae snails
2 Mexican snails
1 emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp
4 blue hermit crabs

What would you guys suggest for this tanks additions? I know I want to add a goby/pistol pair for sure.

This is my first salt tank so I am open to all suggestions! Thanks for your time!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

As for corals, I have a green candy cane frag, a Kenya tree frag, and a frogspawn frag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3323823523.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	161064  

Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

For one I would get a lot more live rock and cure it and then add it to your tank. Gives more area to place corals, more hiding spots, and most importantly more bio filter. I would then decide what corals you like and write up and list and then post any questions you have. I also have the hqi and I have everything from softies to sps. Great little system. I would suggest a koralia powerhead or 2 of the biocube powerheads. Also do NOT keep the ballast under the stand unless you install fans. It gets extremely hot. The day after I set mine up I reached in to turn the lights off after 8hrs and it burned my hand. Also it started melting the paint off the stand where it was sitting. I now have it mounted on the wall with a fan blowing horizontally across the glass top of the tank and then onto the ballast. This has given me less then 1 degree temperature fluctuations and keeps the ballast just slightly warm to the touch.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some possible fish options would include:

Firefish
Cardinals
Yellow headed jawfish (but wouldn't recommend if you do get the shrimp/goby combo)
Bicolor blenny

Obviously, not all of them, but just a list of options.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

@czwicky I have about 17 lbs of rock in there now. Can I just stick in more live rock or will that cause a mini cycle? If so, how much more rock? I have the biocube nano powerhead. I plan to get a new one or two, what is the best placement?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Would a flame angel be out of the question? I have heard they are big swimmers and sometimes not reef friendly
Old 03-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

A flame angel would be fine in there imo. Others may say not. I have a coral beauty in my biocube and he is happy as can be. It is generally the larger angels who are prone to nipping at corals. My advice would to just keep an eye on him. I've never had a problem with my coral beauty. Every once in awhile I think he's nipping my corals but he is just pulling off algae. He is very peaceful. If you want a flame angel you will need more rock though. They need hiding and swimming spots and also a decent amount of rock to graze on.
With the new rock you would have to go about curing it before you add it to your dt or you will have die off, meaning a mini cycle or even a full cycle again. Let me find a link to a good guide that lays out how to cure live rock and I will post the link here for you
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

And as for placement of the powerheads it depends on how you have your rockwork.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh that's great! An angel wouldn't be crammed in there with my already mentioned stock? I would appreciate the link on curing rock. How much rock would you suggest I add? Going to my lfs later today. Currently at 17 lbs of live rock
Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

My current stock is
2x Clarkii clowns
A mandarin
A royal gramma
My coral beauty
A three stripe damsel
And a lawnmower blennie

So no IMO a flame angel wouldn't be cramped. Most people would say my tank is "overstocked" but I have great paramaters and happy fish.

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, hqi, reef, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com