29 gal Nano ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I wasn't going to jump into another Salt tank this quickly but last night I met a young guy who was upgrading his 29 gal to a full 55 gal reef tank. We talked a bit and he said he would give me the 29s entire set up less the fish and rock with the stand and modified hood for 80 bucks.

I went to his house and helped him break down his 29 moving the contents to his cycled 55 gal and packed it up still wet in my truck and this evening filled the tank with treated tap water and mixed Oceanic to the suggested measurements. I placed 30 lbs of crushed coral and after rinsing the filters and carbon he had been using well in Salt Water I started the tanks systems. All seems to work fine.

The tank is a Eclipse with modified hood that added 2-T8 white and 2- T5 blue lights. He had been running the tank for a year this way and it looked healthy when we started breaking it down. Personally I don't care for the Eclipse Hood even with the mods. The filter system built in seems less than ideal to me and I will most likely add a protein skimmer or seperate canister filter to the system. I still have to purchase a water test kit but will let it run this way for several weeks as I am going on vacation next week.

I will try and take some pics of the setup later this week and post them.
Any suggestions appreciated as it has been 15 years since I kept a 75 gal show reef tank.

Last edited:
Just an Update

I found some decent base rock local at 1.00 per lb. I bought 20 lbs and plan on adding 5 lbs live rock later as seed stock with a cleaning crew. Anyone see any problems with this approach once the tank cycles or do it before?

Thanks

You wouldnt add your clean up crew until after you cycle. I would cycle with all the rock you have, live and base. saves time and is easier. :)

I would never ever use tap water for a SW tank, the treatment just rids in of clorine, you will have phosphate problems I'm sure, at the very least.

Back
Top Bottom