29 gallon coral reef move.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok well hank is right on the rocks. Use hydrogen peroxide to clean off unwanted algae, but you really don't want to kill ask the bacteria in the rock. As far as the sand, I would be weary of reusing it. Established sand can be hard to clean. You could always go bare bottom until you can afford new sand (you said this is temporarily staying at your house so I'm guessing you will be moving it again anyways). Not saying it can't be cleaned, but that would be my last resort. The tank can go without having to recycle it however I wouldn't attempt all of this at once. I would remove rock (leaving it all alone for now). Do away with sand. Clean the tank, drill it and install over flow. Keep all rock, fish, etc, in totes with powerheads, heater, and light (just as you would the aquarium). Put tank where it is going and fill up under the overflow (put new out cleaned sand in at this time). Add heater and water movement to tank. Plumb it all up. Once tank water matches tote water add the rock and livestock to tank. Don't let the water rise into the overflow or plumbing, let it dry at least 24hrs. Once it's dry finish filing it up and pray you did it right. LOL. (you could test it with tap water before adding anything, leaving all livestock in totes which would be recommended, but it seems like things are put in rush.) This week be an extremity busy couple days. Don't panic, try to stay calm and focused. I might have left something out or someone may add something to this.

Thanks Paul. I decided that the tank will stay at my house. Only rushing because I need to get the 29 gallon setup so I can move all the corals and fish out of my 20 gallon so I can move that one home before my office moves in October.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a question for you all. If I save half of the water in my tank in three 5 gallon buckets, will the water be Ok just sitting in the buckets for a few days until I get the tank drilled, overflow box in and plumbing installed?

The water would not help your cycling. It will save you money in salt to mix new water, but I personally would change the water.

Getting ready for the move tomorrow. I have almost emptied the tank of water. I will Leave the sand in the tank. I have everything unplugged and in a one of two boxes. One box for components that need to be cleaned and one box for components that do it need to be cleaned. Still have to take my reactors down and empty those. I still need to empty the water out of the sump and take apart the Tom aquatics overflow box.

Best of luck and hope everything goes smoothly!

Thanks Paul I appreciate the help and the advice from you, hank and everyone else that commented. I just hope I can get it up and running at home in time to move the corals and fish out of the 20 gallon at the office so I can get that tank moved home before October when my office is being moved. The only one I will take to the new office space is my 8 Gallon nano.

Thanks Paul I appreciate the help and the advice from you, hank and everyone else that commented. I just hope I can get it up and running at home in time to move the corals and fish out of the 20 gallon at the office so I can get that tank moved home before October when my office is being moved. The only one I will take to the new office space is my 8 Gallon nano.

Sounds like a good office size. Especially if you ever move out again.

Well I moved the tank out of my office on Saturday. Everything went as I expected it to. Now for the tough stuff. Cleaning, cleaning, and some more cleaning. Did I mention cleaning.
I'm going to try really hard to have this tank up and running by next weekend.

Cleaned and drilled my tank today. Installed the 1" bulkheads and getting ready to install the 3/4" bulkhead. Exciting!

Pics of tank after drilling and bulkheads installed.

Attachments

• 1438980102187.jpg
    1438980102187.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 1438980117458.jpg
    1438980117458.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 159
That's really clean. Great job! I hope I can get things like that if I have to drill my eventual upgrade.

Thanks Hank. Once I scraped all the coralline algae off I used vinegar on a wet rag to wipe down the inside and outside.

Well BRS stewed up and didn't include my bulkheads in my order. Ugh! Called them on Thursday and they were suppose to send them overnight and still haven't gotten them. Another setback. In the mean time I'm getting some pieces of Plexiglas cut for the new sump build.

Arrived at work this my OK morning to find my bulkheads laying on my desk. Ugh! They we're suppose to ship them to my home!!

Back
Top Bottom