Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

29 Gallon Hex Build

Hey everyone just want to post up some pics of my tank since putting water and LR in it yesterday.

Today's tests
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Tell me what yall think. Thanks!
Billy

first day when i put water in under the 4 LED's

cloudy water under the actinic blue lights

again except under 10k white's

Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

pics of LR

pic from the right side of the tank

left side

right side again

Tell me what yall think. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks really nice i like the lighting! the glass looks like it is going to be really hard to keep clean though, i know my hex has lots of tricky areas. What are you thinking of putting in there fish/invert/coral wise??
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think a mountain of live rock right in the middle would look cool. Fish could swim all the way around plus it would be easier to keep all the glass clean.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry it took forever for me to reply had some technical dificulties.

But anyways, so ive been doing water tests everyday and the highest ammonia got was 2.0ppm. Is that going to be high enough for the cycle? I still have the raw shrimp in the tank and will test again today when i get off work.

Salinity is stable at 1.025
PH was 8.2
Ammonia as of last night was .50ppm
Nitrite was 2.0ppm
and Nitrate was 20ppm

As for fish I think i only want a pair of clowns, dont know which kind yet, as for the CUC im clueless and the same for corals. Any advice?

Oh also, I'm having a problem with my protein skimmer, it's a Reef Octopus BH100, and im getting alot of micro bubbles coming through the return pipe into my tank. Any ideas? I'll try and post a picture when i get off.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if i was you i'd consider using a completely different tank as a reef tank. they are very hard to do anything in- coral placement, accomplishing the right flow, lighting, viewing, and of course swimming room.

a 30 breeder would be an awesome tank to use as a reef. the same water volume, but an excellent footprint.

as for the octo skimmer, let it break in for a week or so and see if it clears up.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
if i was you i'd consider using a completely different tank as a reef tank. they are very hard to do anything in- coral placement, accomplishing the right flow, lighting, viewing, and of course swimming room.

a 30 breeder would be an awesome tank to use as a reef. the same water volume, but an excellent footprint.

as for the octo skimmer, let it break in for a week or so and see if it clears up.

Ok I'll see where it is in a week, if it improves or not.

I dont want this tank to be a full reef tank just a starter tank, when i get back from the sand box I'll probably be getting either a 75g or 120g tank. So probably for now this 30g hex will be a FOWLR maybe one or two corals. Is that doable for now?
Old 02-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
It will be fine for a first starter FOWLR. If you want to keep a few coral it shouldn't be a problem you will just have to put them at the top of your rock. It can be a little tricky to get good flow in a hex. You may need a small power head in the bottom half of the tank to keep the water circulating down there. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
It will be fine for a first starter FOWLR. If you want to keep a few coral it shouldn't be a problem you will just have to put them at the top of your rock. It can be a little tricky to get good flow in a hex. You may need a small power head in the bottom half of the tank to keep the water circulating down there. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
I think it has good flow IMO, the powerhead i have moves some of my sandbed into little mountain parts on opposite sides. I did have to angle my powerhead to go behind my LR first because if i didnt it shock my thermometer in the glass and i was afraid it would've busted it into my tank.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
If you already have good flow then you are all set. Take some pictures for us so we can see the tank.

Tags
29 gallon, build, hex, hexagon, new build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com