29 gallon lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barefootbc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Working my 29 gallon towards a mostly sps tank.

Recently set up a hanging quad lights structure. 4 24w T5 HO bulbs, 2 are 10k, 2 are actinic blue.

Just wondering if this will be sufficient lighting, and also the timing on having the lights on/off.

Thanks!

I am no sps expert but that doesn't sound like enough light to me. How deep is the tank? I would think with t5 about 6-8 hours a day is fine, I used to run actinic for an extra hour either end...

Should be enough if you keep them higher up. I believe it's 1 bulb per 3" and a standard 29 is 12" front to back. Any more you would be lighting the floor anyways.

Working my 29 gallon towards a mostly sps tank.

Recently set up a hanging quad lights structure. 4 24w T5 HO bulbs, 2 are 10k, 2 are actinic blue.

Just wondering if this will be sufficient lighting, and also the timing on having the lights on/off.

Thanks!

You need more light for sure. I used to have a 29g with T5's and couldn't grow any SPS unless it was up really high. Everything else I put in there besides a bird nest had died over time unfortunately

You need more light for sure. I used to have a 29g with T5's and couldn't grow any SPS unless it was up really high. Everything else I put in there besides a bird nest had died over time unfortunately

More light means what exactly? Higher wattage?

I'm guessing an LED set up will be a bit more expensive than my current one.

Could someone provide a link or example of an adequate setup for a 29 gallon?

Thanks!!

Nice, appreciate the input.

I've only got GSP, Xenia, leather coral, purple gorgonian in the tank at the moment.

Hoping my current lighting will sustain these until I'm ready to move up to the sps land!

Thanks again

I have a 4 bulb T5HO with similar bulbs (high quality ones make a difference). Since I switches to Giesemann bulbs, my SPS encrusting montipora has taken off and covered a baseball size rock in a couple months (all from a small encrusted frag plug). But it is within a couple inches of the surface. Probably wont go down more than 6" with that lighting setup. Less if you have old or cheaper bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom