29 Gallon Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmulgrew97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My current build is a 29 Gallon fish-only
Current stock:
1 lawnmower blend
1 snowflake clown
1 occelaris clown
1 green chromie
1 yellow chromie
1 snowflake moray eel
Any comments/suggestions?

image-2268986011.jpg

My current build is a 29 Gallon fish-only
Current stock:
1 lawnmower blend
1 snowflake clown
1 occelaris clown
1 green chromie
1 yellow chromie
1 snowflake moray eel
Any comments/suggestions?

I'd rehome the eel for sure. It will outgrow that tank and probably eat half your fish. Do you have live rock in the tank?

Plenty of life rock, 5-8 lbs, haven't had any problem with fish being eaten, but I fear he might outgrow it, got him as a baby.

Plenty of life rock, 5-8 lbs, haven't had any problem with fish being eaten, but I fear he might outgrow it, got him as a baby.

How old is the tank? General rule is one lb per gal. You can add base rock for the rest

Last edited by a moderator:
The tank is about 14 months old, probably have about 10 inches of fish so far, should I keep stocking or would that be the maximum amount?

I would say stocked if you rehome the eel. It gets to large for that tank. With the eel it is definitely overstocked.

I agree with rehoming the eel. It will outgrow that tank and it will eventually go after the Chromis (at least). The "inches of fish" is really more of a freshwater thing. For salt, you have to look more at the types of fish and what they add to the bioload. I would say if you lose the eel, you might be okay adding one more fish/goby as long as it is small.

I'd took the advice given to me by you guys, the eel is rehomed, was becoming a hazard on my water quality anyways, but is the live rock completely necessary might have more then 5-8 I would say appx. 2/5 of the tank is filled with it

I'd took the advice given to me by you guys, the eel is rehomed, was becoming a hazard on my water quality anyways, but is the live rock completely necessary might have more then 5-8 I would say appx. 2/5 of the tank is filled with it

Got a pic of the tank? Im not sure how much is even in my 39 gallon, but id guess around 40 or more lbs. I still have room too. Also another 10 lbs in the 20 gallon sump. 5-8 is ok but why not get some cheap dry base rock and add it. Some rock is lighter though. Ive had a couple light pieces for their size. And thats a good thing. You want as much surface area you can have in that tank! Live rock is your ally, cant have to many allies. Just my 2 cents. Heres my 39 with upwards of 50 Llbs.
img_2718392_0_51f67b5f01dfbd45b7804ead7cac8a0c.jpg

Head decoration was found at LPS, and when you guys mention having a sump, should I think about having one for a 30 gallon?

image-4029181591.jpg

Here is my 30 gallon fish only as of now, the eel has been rehomed, thinking about stocking 1-2 more fish any suggestions?

I'd say you are stocked with 5 fish. You don't need a sump but it adds extra volume to the tank. You will need a hob overflow to get the water down to it.

you're tank might look low on stock but once your fish get full grown you'll see just how little room you have to work with. you're pretty full as far as stocking goes.

Although your tank is what most people would call fully stocked, as long as you keep up on water changes I think you'd be fine adding a small shrimp goby like the yasha goby with a pistol shrimp if you wanted.

As for the sump idea I don't think you need it but i would add some more rock down the road. i run a 20L reef w/o a sump and Personally, on smaller Nano "ish" tanks I dont like a sump unless the tank is drilled b/c then you have to have a bulky overflow on a tank that is limited in size. Again going without a sump just make sure you do regular water changes and pay close attention to topping off.

Okay I might look into getting some new live rock soon, i should by the goby and the shrimp together?!

Back
Top Bottom