29 gallon to 65 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmonson

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking about upgrading from a 29 gallon reef to a 65 gallon reef. I will be using that same stand it is on because it matches that rest of the furniture in my living room, and it is big enough. What would be the best way to do this with out losing any livestock?

Do it :D! What do you have now? Well, make sure you have all the plumbing, equipment, etc. ready to assemble in one day if you can. Plan things out basically. Have lots of buckets for fish, rock, coral and sand. A 30+ BRUTE trash can could work too (for fish, rock, water). Provide oxygen for the fish with airline tubing and pump. After everything is out just transfer everything over. The faster the better and leave the lights off until the morning of course so you don't stress anything. If corals are attached to rocks make sure you're not crushing them. Try planning the aquascape beforehand.

Ok also what would be the best for of filtration because I do not have room under for a sump. Would a hong on back refugium and a protein skimmer work? Also I have an mp10 on my 29 would that create enough flow or should I get another one or an mp40?

You could have a display refugium next to the DT (seen really awesome ones). Personally would skip a HOB refugium b/c it's too small to really effect nitrates and pretty expensive for just growing pods (which will colonize in your DT as well). If you can't have a canister filter either, then I'd recommend getting a HOB filter like aquaclear 110. You can use that for a HOB refugium if you want...and can add bags of carbon and GFO. Don't have an MP10, but I know they are pretty powerful. If you can afford the mp40 definitely get one.

I'll probably go with the HOB filter and protein skimmer. I don't really want a tank on the carpet. I'll try my mp10 on there and see how it is. I might go with a BRS gfo reactor and just hang it on the wall behind the tank or something. What would be a good light for lps, Sps, some softies, anemone and clams? I'd like LEDs but if I can't find a good one for under 400-500 I'd probably go with t5s. What do you think?

Understandable about not wanting the sump on carpet. I have a tarp under mine and there have been spills so glad I have it there. A cheap, popular light that are said to grow everything are Taotronics LEDs which you can get on eBay.

Good thing u have that tarp there. I'll take a look at those LEDs and see what I can find.

Is there a way to hang that fixture without drilling into the ceiling? If I get it and there is no other way I can go from the ceiling but is there another's way?

That thing could work too! What about metal halides what do you think about them? Also thanks a lot of all the help!

MHs are fine. They grow everything, but the only issue is heat. If suspended high enough & having fans would solve that problem, but they aren't cheap. LEDs are cheaper, last longer, and produce little heat. That's why I suggested it. I use a T5 HO fixture which do the job. And no problem, love to help.

MHs are fine. They grow everything, but the only issue is heat. If suspended high enough & having fans would solve that problem, but they aren't cheap. LEDs are cheaper, last longer, and produce little heat. That's why I suggested it. I use a T5 HO fixture which do the job. And no problem, love to help.

Im a firm believer that if you can deal with the heat of metal halide then get metal halide. Every tank that i have run metal halide on thrives. I ran my current 29g reef on halide for over a year before i switched to leds. Only reason i switched was because of the heat. In most circumstances its not too much of a problem keeping the tank cool. What made me switch was the room temp in the bedroom the tank is in. It would get seriously hot in that bedroom just from a 150w halide.

I'm leaning more towards the LEDs! Do you think the acan lighting 300 series would be good for sps I saw it last night but fell asleep when I was looking at it haha so I didn't get to see very much if it. They are cheaper than the other acan fixtures though.

I don't know. Have info about the model you want? Like how many watt LEDs they are, the PAR, etc. They're more expensive then some ones that will grow SPS.

I don't think that one will grow Sps so I'm still looking.

If I get the taotronics led should I get the 120watt or the 212watt?

I think this is the fixture I'm going to get. AquaticLife 6 Lamp T5 HO & LED Light Fixture - 36 in. Also will there be a cycle at all when I add the new water to the take since over half of it will be new?

Good fixture. The water won't help w/ the cycle, but the old filter media, sand, and rocks will. You'll probably have a mini cycle.

Will it be safe to put my livestock in or should I read climate them?

Back
Top Bottom