29g Reef HOB Fuge..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been looking into doing a either a diy fuge out of an aquaclear or buying a good one, price wise which one is more cost effective. Its going on my 29g reef for my bedroom just for size reference and ill be doing simple corals and light stocking.

And another question, if I use an aquaclear hob how would I keep the macro algae from flowing out? Any insight would be awesome guys I wanna get this going so I can start adding coral soon.

The filter will need some modding to function as a HOB refugium. You could try gluing some plastic canvas over the exit to keep the algae from flowing out, that's just one option out of many. Is there a reason why you don't want an under tank refugium instead?

The filter will need some modding to function as a HOB refugium. You could try gluing some plastic canvas over the exit to keep the algae from flowing out, that's just one option out of many. Is there a reason why you don't want an under tank refugium instead?

I don't have room for it, the tanks on top of my dresser and I have nowhere to put it.

one more question guys, what should i use? an ac-30 or an ac-50..?

Get as big as can fit. I personally would try to fit a 110, but go 70 if that's not possible, but get a 30 or 50 impeller to slow the flow. Also, YouTube aquaclear 110 fuge mod there are a few videos of how to modify the media basket so it will stop the macro from spilling into the tank

there's video on youtube on how to convert an AC filter to a refuge. the general consensus is to go as big as possible because it can hold more space for whatever you want in the refugium.

speaking from experience, i have had both the 30 and the 50 and 30 IMO/IME is way too small to hold anything substantial. even with the 50, i found it small. so go big or go home:cool:

well guys heres my problem, i have a topfin 75 dual output hob filter on the tank which is already huge, i need to get some dimensions on both to see if they can both fit on the tank together, but an ac110 does look like i can seriously hold a beneficial quantity of macro.

well guys heres my problem, i have a topfin 75 dual output hob filter on the tank which is already huge, i need to get some dimensions on both to see if they can both fit on the tank together, but an ac110 does look like i can seriously hold a beneficial quantity of macro.

If it were my tank, which I have a 40 breeder, I would scrap the HOB filter, and replace it with the fuge, as that is what I am in the process of doing lol... :cool: You have a skimmer right?

If it were my tank, which I have a 40 breeder, I would scrap the HOB filter, and replace it with the fuge, as that is what I am in the process of doing lol... :cool: You have a skimmer right?

i do have an aquaticlife 115 skimmer, i really dont want to scrap the hob as it does all of my water polishing and heavy matter filtering, ive heard of fuge and skimmer and lr only setups and thats cool and all but i wouldnt feel right without a hob filter.

if that's the case, you can consider the AC as a HOB filter since it does what your tetra HOB filter is doing as well. if you get the biggest AC, then you have enough space for a purigen AND a refuge area for macro algae and everything else.

i do have an aquaticlife 115 skimmer, i really dont want to scrap the hob as it does all of my water polishing and heavy matter filtering, ive heard of fuge and skimmer and lr only setups and thats cool and all but i wouldnt feel right without a hob filter.

If you do the 110 mod, you can put a foam sponge in there, just a suggestion.

Agree with above posters. I looked at a LOT of diy info for turning the ac's into refugiums. You could scrap the tetra filter, get a 110, and run both out of it. It would take some modifications, but you could easily put a sponge and purigen in there, and have plenty of room for the fuge as well.
This was my original plan until I bit the bullet and bought a Red Sea Max. Lol.

if that's the case, you can consider the AC as a HOB filter since it does what your tetra HOB filter is doing as well. if you get the biggest AC, then you have enough space for a purigen AND a refuge area for macro algae and everything else.

hmmm, ill consider it, it sounds like a good idea but i guess i just have to let my freshwater experience go already.. :banghead:

If you do the 110 mod, you can put a foam sponge in there, just a suggestion.

as in polyfil floss? or an actually sponge.. :confused:

Agree with above posters. I looked at a LOT of diy info for turning the ac's into refugiums. You could scrap the tetra filter, get a 110, and run both out of it. It would take some modifications, but you could easily put a sponge and purigen in there, and have plenty of room for the fuge as well.
This was my original plan until I bit the bullet and bought a Red Sea Max. Lol.

lucky, lol, but heres the noob question ive been putting off.. what the eff if purigen? ive seen it everywhere in posts and threads and builds but i still have no clue what it does.. sorry guys lol :nono:

An actual sponge, or polyfil... You can modify the filter how you see fit.

purigen is a rechargeable filtering media. it's very effective and easy to use. what i like it the most is that it's reusable.

purigen is a rechargeable filtering media. it's very effective and easy to use. what i like it the most is that it's reusable.
It binds with dissolved organic compounds (DOC's). It doesn't leach when it is exhausted, it turns a toasty brown color. I use it as a final filter for polishing the water. I have used the same batch for over a year now and recharged it perhaps a dozen times. It tumbles nicely, but is very light. In a smaller system, you can just place it in a bag in a high flow area.

An actual sponge, or polyfil... You can modify the filter how you see fit.

i have a roll of regular polyfil i use in my filter already as a heavy matter catch before my carbon cartridges.

sounds money saving.. i like it already.

It binds with dissolved organic compounds (DOC's). It doesn't leach when it is exhausted, it turns a toasty brown color. I use it as a final filter for polishing the water. I have used the same batch for over a year now and recharged it perhaps a dozen times. It tumbles nicely, but is very light. In a smaller system, you can just place it in a bag in a high flow area.

how do i "recharge" it? and can i just stuff it into my hob i have now?

i have a roll of regular polyfil i use in my filter already as a heavy matter catch before my carbon cartridges. sounds money saving.. i like it already. how do i "recharge" it? and can i just stuff it into my hob i have now?
Yes, you contain it in a mesh bag and place it wherever there is a lot of water movement. The recharging process looks a bit scary but it isn't. You take the old purigen in a small bucket and add straight household bleach (with no detergents). Within a few minutes the purigen is snow white again. The process is then to rinse it over and over with RO water to get rid of the bleach and oxidized organics, then treat it with chlorine remover (without slime coat enhances that can ruin the purigen).

Yes, you contain it in a mesh bag and place it wherever there is a lot of water movement. The recharging process looks a bit scary but it isn't. You take the old purigen in a small bucket and add straight household bleach (with no detergents). Within a few minutes the purigen is snow white again. The process is then to rinse it over and over with RO water to get rid of the bleach and oxidized organics, then treat it with chlorine remover (without slime coat enhances that can ruin the purigen).

woah.. where can i get all that..? pool supply store? i can get the ro water $0.25/g and the cheap straight bleach at wally world, but chlorine remover..?

woah.. where can i get all that..? pool supply store? i can get the ro water $0.25/g and the cheap straight bleach at wally world, but chlorine remover..?
All of that is available at any LFS or on web sites like Bulk Reef Supply. The laundry bleach you get at the grocery store. Just be careful, bleach kills everything.

Back
Top Bottom