Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

29g Reef HOB Fuge..?

So I've been looking into doing a either a diy fuge out of an aquaclear or buying a good one, price wise which one is more cost effective. Its going on my 29g reef for my bedroom just for size reference and ill be doing simple corals and light stocking.

And another question, if I use an aquaclear hob how would I keep the macro algae from flowing out? Any insight would be awesome guys I wanna get this going so I can start adding coral soon.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The filter will need some modding to function as a HOB refugium. You could try gluing some plastic canvas over the exit to keep the algae from flowing out, that's just one option out of many. Is there a reason why you don't want an under tank refugium instead?

Old 10-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The filter will need some modding to function as a HOB refugium. You could try gluing some plastic canvas over the exit to keep the algae from flowing out, that's just one option out of many. Is there a reason why you don't want an under tank refugium instead?
I don't have room for it, the tanks on top of my dresser and I have nowhere to put it.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

one more question guys, what should i use? an ac-30 or an ac-50..?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
one more question guys, what should i use? an ac-30 or an ac-50..?
Get as big as can fit. I personally would try to fit a 110, but go 70 if that's not possible, but get a 30 or 50 impeller to slow the flow. Also, YouTube aquaclear 110 fuge mod there are a few videos of how to modify the media basket so it will stop the macro from spilling into the tank
Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

there's video on youtube on how to convert an AC filter to a refuge. the general consensus is to go as big as possible because it can hold more space for whatever you want in the refugium.

speaking from experience, i have had both the 30 and the 50 and 30 IMO/IME is way too small to hold anything substantial. even with the 50, i found it small. so go big or go home
Old 10-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

well guys heres my problem, i have a topfin 75 dual output hob filter on the tank which is already huge, i need to get some dimensions on both to see if they can both fit on the tank together, but an ac110 does look like i can seriously hold a beneficial quantity of macro.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
well guys heres my problem, i have a topfin 75 dual output hob filter on the tank which is already huge, i need to get some dimensions on both to see if they can both fit on the tank together, but an ac110 does look like i can seriously hold a beneficial quantity of macro.
If it were my tank, which I have a 40 breeder, I would scrap the HOB filter, and replace it with the fuge, as that is what I am in the process of doing lol... You have a skimmer right?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxon-Waxon View Post
If it were my tank, which I have a 40 breeder, I would scrap the HOB filter, and replace it with the fuge, as that is what I am in the process of doing lol... You have a skimmer right?
i do have an aquaticlife 115 skimmer, i really dont want to scrap the hob as it does all of my water polishing and heavy matter filtering, ive heard of fuge and skimmer and lr only setups and thats cool and all but i wouldnt feel right without a hob filter.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

if that's the case, you can consider the AC as a HOB filter since it does what your tetra HOB filter is doing as well. if you get the biggest AC, then you have enough space for a purigen AND a refuge area for macro algae and everything else.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com