Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

29gal to 50 conversion..

I'm planning on doing a 29 gal to 50 gal conversion and I was wondering if I would still have to cycle it first or could I just use the LR that I already have in my 29 gal and the live sand and be okay? Anything else I might need to know? TIA!

Old 06-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

If u do it right there is no need for another cycle. If u search this forum u will find other posts about moving a tank, but basically, u just need to bring all of the water, sand and liverock from the 29 to the 50. Once u get the everything into the new tank u should only need to and the 21g of water to match the difference in tank size and in theory adding that water is no different that if u had done a water change on an existing 50g tank.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about my corals and fish? Will they be okay in the swap and if so when should I add them. I know I cant add the water first and leave them hangin dry, can I? If not do I have to acclimate them slowly again? Sorry I know these sound like stupid questions but the one post that I read about someone moving from 29 to 55gal didnt tell me what I needed to know. However, I will go back through and look for more. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #4
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

wut u can do is get tubs of some sort or since its only a 29gal tank use 5gal buckets put the sand and live rock in the buckets along with enough water from the tank to submerge them completely. Use another bucket or two for fish, doing the same thing as u did with the live rock(enough water to support the fish and corals for the time needed for the change). Once u have everything out of the tank u can start putting it into the new one. I would say sand first (start from the ground up). Then put ur rock in the way u want it. As long as it stays moist ur rock and sand r fine to be in the new tank without being submerged totally for a little bit. After u have ur sand and rock in the tank begin to refill with the water from the buckets until its all in the new tank and add the remaining amout of new water to the tank. You can probably put the fish and corals in without acclimating them, but u might want to just to be safe. Remember to make sure ur filtration and powerheads r set up and ready to work before u make the move so that u dont have any issues once everything is moved because that could spell disaster. I dont think i left anything out, but if i did let me know.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How much LR do you have in your 29?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have about 48lbs of LR. I know I'm going to need more for the 55.

JM- That sounds good. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntswift
I have about 48lbs of LR. I know I'm going to need more for the 55.

You are correct , Sir

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
this is how i transfered a 20 to 55..... i bought new sand and filled new tank about half full (ran a ph) with new sw. after everything settled in new tank, i began the process. first, i didnt have anything for the live stock for to stay in, so i emptied the tank til just above the lr and added this water to the new tank (slowly). i then gathered all lr and added to new tank and aquascaped. after this was finished, i then got the live stock out of tank and put in bags and "drip" acclimated for about 3 hours. during this process i gathered what sand out of the old tank that wanted in the new tank. after acclimation, i added live stock and all is fine since..... all in all, took me about 6 hours, but def worth it.... hth

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

U definatly did it the long way it shouldnt take more than an hour or two to do a transfer, using everything from the old tank.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay cool! Thanks for the help guys. Will I have to worry about anything cycling by adding 25lbs new lr? If so should I put the lr in before or wait to slowly add rock week by week to make the mini spike smaller?

Tags
29 gallon, conversion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com