29gal with 110watt PCF Lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
What kind of Corals or other livestock could one keep in a 29gal tank with that level of wattage [ Just a hair under 4wpg ]?

Keep in mind the tank does not have much live rock, So High placement would be hard to achive. Midtank is about the highest point on the highest rocks.

You can keep several types of corals with that lighting. Mushrooms, polyps, zoanthuds, leather, xenia, most LPS as well.

lando said:
You can keep several types of corals with that lighting. Mushrooms, polyps, zoanthuds, leather, xenia, most LPS as well.

Any specific placement, I mean... Will this be enough light to penetrate to the very bottom of the tank, or will everything require placement at the highest possible levels?

It will penetrate to the bottom, it just depends on what is covering the tank if anything and if your using "legs" to support it. If using eggcrate, I would cut away the middle section to allow for more light.

If you have the shorter 2x65w (30"), it will leave a bit of a dim spot at each end especially if using legs. If the 36" you will have less issues, it can also be rested right on the rim as long as you keep the splash guard and clean it regularly.

Cheers
Steve

I can't find a 30inch fixture on the place I'm planning on buying from.

So I was going to get a 24inch fixture and rest it on a glass hood.

current USA makes a 30" fixture. i have the satellite. it uses the shorter bulbs. i have had good luck so far. the reflector seems to help with the dim spots. all of my coral is growing nicely and seems happy under that light on a 29gallon. the light is about 2 inches above the top with no cover on the tank

steve r

William said:
I can't find a 30inch fixture on the place I'm planning on buying from.

So I was going to get a 24inch fixture and rest it on a glass hood.
DOH! What steve r said, sorry. There is no 36" 2x65w I mixed them up. The one you need for better "end to end" coverage is the 30".

Coralife also makes a 30" hood.

Cheers
Steve

I have seen those on ebay and wondered about the quality of the fixture because of the great price. I went with the coralife lunar light fixture. Other members on this forum have bought them and they say that they are actually good lights. It's really up to you. I'm a bargain hunter myself (in other words, cheap), so it was a hard decision for me not to go with the Jebo. Lighting is very important for the health of your corals so do some research before you buy and ask around. I'm sure they'll suit your tank and budget well, but you may want to try more difficult corals in the future ( you most probably will). Keep that in mind. Anway, good luck with your purchase.

Great light for the price. I am a bit worried that it did not mention anything about cooling fans. You may need to blow a small fan across the light to keep it cooler. For better light penetration I suggest removing your glass-top (as long as you do not have any jumpers). $50 for a CF fixture shipped is a great price. Let us know what you think about the quality.

Back
Top Bottom