Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What kind if bracing was to talking about? Just to hold the egg crate or?

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
What kind if bracing was to talking about? Just to hold the egg crate or?
The bracing I was talking about was to hold the tank together. Lots of rectangular tanks have a center brace that prevents the tank from bowing. Because of the additional panels on your tank, it may not work out. A wider lip may add additional bracing, but when you start messing with the structural integrity of the tank...your asking for a flood. It's better (and most times cheaper) to get the proper equipment, even if you have to wait a bit.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yea I hear ya. That's what I was thinking. The actual brace that goes across actually saggs a bit into the water. Dunno how much it it really it bracing it but It would suck so bad if the tank collapsed apart. What could I do with the lighting? I could get more led strips but that wouldn't increase the wattage much.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Oh and what about my previous question another t5 t8 and t12s?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Without altering the top of your tank, you could fit a 2-bulb, maybe a 4- bulb, T5 on the back. And a couple more LED strips on the front. Just look at the sizes of some of the T5's , width wise on their specs.
With a 4-bulb and some LED, I think you'd be able to keep any LPS or softies, with some SPS on the top of your rocks.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I could see a 2bulb working and that's about it. If I raise it too much most of the light wont shine in the tank. So I'm thinking I can get a 2 bulb t5 and raise it about 2 inches and just have glass under the actual light fixture to prevent any water from getting in and having all the back opening egg crate as well. Believe it or not I think my torch coral it trying to amp back up. I sucked all the brown jelly off (real easy to do when it falls of its skeleton btw) and the small rock hole I stuck it in it seems to be extending out of it. It took some food too. Maybe it attached itself to that crevice. I hope it pulls through. Its on top receiving the most light possible with what I've got. U think 2 t5s and 2 led strips will work out?? BTW the led strip I have is adjustable. I have it attached on the front pointed to the center of the tank which I'm sure helps. Yellow polyps and mushrooms still doing great and a I got dragon eye zoa frag from my buddy today. Ill post pics tomorrow. I figure this reef thing out eventually. It'd expensive!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87
I could see a 2bulb working and that's about it. If I raise it too much most of the light wont shine in the tank. So I'm thinking I can get a 2 bulb t5 and raise it about 2 inches and just have glass under the actual light fixture to prevent any water from getting in and having all the back opening egg crate as well. Believe it or not I think my torch coral it trying to amp back up. I sucked all the brown jelly off (real easy to do when it falls of its skeleton btw) and the small rock hole I stuck it in it seems to be extending out of it. It took some food too. Maybe it attached itself to that crevice. I hope it pulls through. Its on top receiving the most light possible with what I've got. U think 2 t5s and 2 led strips will work out?? BTW the led strip I have is adjustable. I have it attached on the front pointed to the center of the tank which I'm sure helps. Yellow polyps and mushrooms still doing great and a I got dragon eye zoa frag from my buddy today. Ill post pics tomorrow. I figure this reef thing out eventually. It'd expensive!!!
Well the Torch sounds promising. I've heard of other types of LPS surviving after becoming detached, so it is possible.
With a 2- bulb T5 and another LED, you would be able to keep any softies, and most LPS, higher up on the rocks. You can really fill a tank with these 2 types of coral.
Best of luck with the Torch!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks man. I really like the torch. Wanna see it get big and possibly my clown host it. I really like the zoanthis I got too. Like to see a small carpet if it. Any advice on these?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zoos are a pretty hardy soft coral. They like moderate flow and low-med light. They don't require any special feeding, and can spread well in the right situation.
For some reason Zoos and Ricordia don't fair well in my tank. They stay alive for years, but don't proliferate like I hear so much from other people. I think I might just have too much light for them, not sure. SPS and LPS do great! Other types of mushrooms too, just not Ricordia, which really blows, because they are pretty much my favorite shroom.
Zoos and mushrooms would be a great place to start for you!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

OK thanks.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com