Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

So far i havnt seen any signs of ich BUT i have seen the first two btfly rubbing their gill/body areas on rocks, as if soemthing is iching them. I didnt even think of the shock idea but shouldnt it effect the inbrates too?? Plus most of the time i dont turn off the electrical switchers when i dip my hand into the tank and so far i havnt felt anything (knock on wood)

As far as my acclimation process, I float the bag for 15min then drip them for another 15min before put them in. Does that sound ok?? advice?? tips??

Old 03-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

:Edit:

Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I temp acclimate by floating for about 15 minutes then move the fish to a separate small bucket. I slowly add water over at least an hours time, sometimes longer for shrimp and other inverts.

Part of your problem could be how quickly you are acclimating, work on that and see if it works.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe try drip acclimating them longer like Carey said, and check for electrical leakage. Did the fish look good at the store? No abrasions, active, good color? Any damage at all on a fly, will really hurt your chances too. Could also be that these fish were cyanide caught, if that's the case there's really nothing you could do, they were doomed. I would check and recheck everything about the tank, for fish to act like that with just a Damsel in their company is odd. If everything on the tank checks out, and you really want a Butterfly, maybe try different, non-local vendor, or on-line. They may get their fish from a different source.
Hope you figure it out, good luck
Old 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe check for some stray voltage. Butterflies are notoriously sensitive.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Part of your problem could be how quickly you are acclimating, work on that and see if it works.
Thanks for the tip carey. I will try dripping them for longer. The reason i dripped them not too long because i was wondering if the temp difference will be great since the drip wont transfer much heatered water during a longer period of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer View Post
and check for electrical leakage.
Any idea how to?? Im very interested in checking this out. As far as the store, the klein look very healthy and was swiming around while picking at a peice of shrimp or some food that was dropped to the bottom of the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadubber View Post
Maybe check for some stray voltage. Butterflies are notoriously sensitive.
I will do some searching. Any idea how to check for voltage in water??
Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only way I would know to check the various equip, would be to pull them out , clean them and look for cracks or breaks on the cords, heater check he glass for breaks if it's glass. Salt , coralline algea, and light really takes its toll on plastic cords, they get brittle and crack. I believe even without cracks, as they age and get harder, they lose some of their ability to insulate.
Excessive salt creep on the bases of lights, situated on top of the tank, can also allow voltage a path to the tank. Just tryin to brainstorm. If all your equip is relatively new, and you have no creep, the odds are less that this is your problem. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDfan View Post

I will do some searching. Any idea how to check for voltage in water??
take a multimeter stick the black lead into the ground on a wall plug. Put the red lead into the water. If there is a reading for volts then you have something that's cracked or broken and putting electricity in the water.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks every1. My kleins bttfly is on its 7th day now and is doing well. He is eating healthy and comes upto the top when i start feeding. He looks to be in good shape.

I got a firefish goby over the weekend and dripped him/her in for 1hr instead of the normal 15-20min. now it is doing very well 1 day later. So it looks like my acclimation process is what killed my previous 2 bttflys. Wish i knew this before. Could have saved myself the $70...lol

Thanks for all your help guys/girls. Thanks for the tip on my acclimation carey
Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad it seems to be working out. Just keep an eye on that butterfly. very sensitive fish so just keep your water as pristine as you can and the fish keeps eating. Mine loved mysis and bloodworms. lol Actually, mine liked anything I put in the tank. even flakes and pellets.

Good luck!!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com