Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TRDfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 250
3 fish, 3 situations, 3 different times....same result

Over the past 3-4 weeks ive attempted to introduce 3 different butterfly fish into my main tank and after 3-4 days EVERY single fish seems to die.

4 weeks ago i introduced a racoon btfly. A day or two after introduction starts go into a mini convultion, then dies. Then 3 weeks ago i got a coperband. The same result. BTWN 2-3 days after introduction it goes into mini convultions/spazzing out while swiming and then dies out around day #4.

2 weeks ago I ended up getting a 18w UV sterilizer hoping that it would kill the ich (which i was hoping it was). Now i ended up getting a Kleins btfly and it seems like its going through the same process. Its started to spazz out while swimming every couple of minutes.

This whole time ive had a yellow tail damsel in there as my first fish and the tank has been up for 3 months.

IF this btfly dies too, im going to take the damsel out. Would an empty tank (except for a starfish, emerald and cleaner shrimp), kill out any bacteria in the tank??
__________________

__________________
TRDfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rutrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,133
You would have a decline in the bacteria population, but I doubt you'd wipe out the bacteria bed entirely.

6 weeks should wipe out any Ich parasites.

Butterflies are touchy species. When you have purchased them, how long had they been at your dealer? Did you see them eat? Did you drip acclimate?
__________________

__________________
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
i just lost a kleins butterfly in my 90g tank, he was eating like a horse and showed no signs of anything being wrong. Just woke up and found him on the sand.

Butterfly fish can be a HUGE challenge and it's not always worth it in the end. Due to the nature of the fish I won't be getting one to replace the one that died. I also have a copperband in my 125g reef tank and so far so good. BUT I literally have to police him when I feed to make sure he gets food. They are the hardest of all butterflys, I would really not get another one.

Good luck! Not sure what you're dealing with in your tank but unless you saw some ich I think it's just the nature of the fish you are getting.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TRDfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
You would have a decline in the bacteria population, but I doubt you'd wipe out the bacteria bed entirely.

6 weeks should wipe out any Ich parasites.

Butterflies are touchy species. When you have purchased them, how long had they been at your dealer? Did you see them eat? Did you drip acclimate?
The first 2 fish i didnt check if they were eating before i got them BUT i did however make sure to watch the klein eat before i purchased him. He seems to nibble at some of the food i put in today. Hopefully he will survive the next week
__________________
TRDfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TRDfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
i just lost a kleins butterfly in my 90g tank, he was eating like a horse and showed no signs of anything being wrong. Just woke up and found him on the sand.

Butterfly fish can be a HUGE challenge and it's not always worth it in the end. Due to the nature of the fish I won't be getting one to replace the one that died. I also have a copperband in my 125g reef tank and so far so good. BUT I literally have to police him when I feed to make sure he gets food. They are the hardest of all butterflys, I would really not get another one.

Good luck! Not sure what you're dealing with in your tank but unless you saw some ich I think it's just the nature of the fish you are getting.
Sorry to hear about your sitiuation too carey. Im starting to think this too. Hopefully my guy will survive. If not im going to try to introduce something else to check if they will suffer the same fate. This way i know if its my tank or if its the btfly fish species
__________________
TRDfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
Based on my research the Kleins is supposed to be one of the easiest butterflys to keep, the main reason I got one. But still an unexplained death. :-(

Good luck though! Fingers crosses for your Kleins!
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Animal-Chin's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,315
If they are dying in a day or two I'd think somethings wrong with the water. Damsels are super hardy and may be living through the problem but when you put a fish like a butterfly it they get sick right away. I'd take a jar of yoru water to the fish store and have them test it for you. Sounds liek something is off...
__________________
Animal-Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TRDfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Based on my research the Kleins is supposed to be one of the easiest butterflys to keep, the main reason I got one. But still an unexplained death. :-(

Good luck though! Fingers crosses for your Kleins!
Thats the same reason I ended up getting it (as my 3rd btfly). So far he is not spazzing out as much as the other 2. Hopefully over time the UV sterillizer will kill most of the bacteria in there
__________________
TRDfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TRDfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
If they are dying in a day or two I'd think somethings wrong with the water. Damsels are super hardy and may be living through the problem but when you put a fish like a butterfly it they get sick right away. I'd take a jar of yoru water to the fish store and have them test it for you. Sounds liek something is off...
Initially thats what i thought but ALL my parameters are in check. Ive tested them every couple of days and i have 0/0/10 (am/rite/rate). Ive even checked it today
__________________
TRDfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Have you seen visible signs of ich on these fish? From your description of the fishes behavior, it almost sounds like electric shock. I would check my heater, circ. pumps, or anything else electric that is submerged. As far as the damsel, idk those things are almost indestructible, he might be used to it! Or he's mental and the shock therapy really works for him!
Just a thought. It's either that, your water, or your acclimation process. I know Butterflies are difficult, I have a 4" Copperband, but 3 in about a month seems fishy to me.
__________________

__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
got a new fish its a sergeant major damsel and it had no ich when I got it. Krocky12 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 43 03-31-2012 07:32 PM
New tank, new build, new fish! mrwizard Cichlid Discussion 59 03-31-2012 07:15 PM
fish pool/pond hippy guy DIY Projects 2 03-29-2012 05:09 PM
My fish won't eat! SirensEye00 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 03-22-2012 10:56 AM
How many fish 29g loach dude Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 03-22-2012 10:48 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.