Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

3 fish, 3 situations, 3 different times....same result

Over the past 3-4 weeks ive attempted to introduce 3 different butterfly fish into my main tank and after 3-4 days EVERY single fish seems to die.

4 weeks ago i introduced a racoon btfly. A day or two after introduction starts go into a mini convultion, then dies. Then 3 weeks ago i got a coperband. The same result. BTWN 2-3 days after introduction it goes into mini convultions/spazzing out while swiming and then dies out around day #4.

2 weeks ago I ended up getting a 18w UV sterilizer hoping that it would kill the ich (which i was hoping it was). Now i ended up getting a Kleins btfly and it seems like its going through the same process. Its started to spazz out while swimming every couple of minutes.

This whole time ive had a yellow tail damsel in there as my first fish and the tank has been up for 3 months.

IF this btfly dies too, im going to take the damsel out. Would an empty tank (except for a starfish, emerald and cleaner shrimp), kill out any bacteria in the tank??

Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You would have a decline in the bacteria population, but I doubt you'd wipe out the bacteria bed entirely.

6 weeks should wipe out any Ich parasites.

Butterflies are touchy species. When you have purchased them, how long had they been at your dealer? Did you see them eat? Did you drip acclimate?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i just lost a kleins butterfly in my 90g tank, he was eating like a horse and showed no signs of anything being wrong. Just woke up and found him on the sand.

Butterfly fish can be a HUGE challenge and it's not always worth it in the end. Due to the nature of the fish I won't be getting one to replace the one that died. I also have a copperband in my 125g reef tank and so far so good. BUT I literally have to police him when I feed to make sure he gets food. They are the hardest of all butterflys, I would really not get another one.

Good luck! Not sure what you're dealing with in your tank but unless you saw some ich I think it's just the nature of the fish you are getting.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post
You would have a decline in the bacteria population, but I doubt you'd wipe out the bacteria bed entirely.

6 weeks should wipe out any Ich parasites.

Butterflies are touchy species. When you have purchased them, how long had they been at your dealer? Did you see them eat? Did you drip acclimate?
The first 2 fish i didnt check if they were eating before i got them BUT i did however make sure to watch the klein eat before i purchased him. He seems to nibble at some of the food i put in today. Hopefully he will survive the next week
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
i just lost a kleins butterfly in my 90g tank, he was eating like a horse and showed no signs of anything being wrong. Just woke up and found him on the sand.

Butterfly fish can be a HUGE challenge and it's not always worth it in the end. Due to the nature of the fish I won't be getting one to replace the one that died. I also have a copperband in my 125g reef tank and so far so good. BUT I literally have to police him when I feed to make sure he gets food. They are the hardest of all butterflys, I would really not get another one.

Good luck! Not sure what you're dealing with in your tank but unless you saw some ich I think it's just the nature of the fish you are getting.
Sorry to hear about your sitiuation too carey. Im starting to think this too. Hopefully my guy will survive. If not im going to try to introduce something else to check if they will suffer the same fate. This way i know if its my tank or if its the btfly fish species
Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Based on my research the Kleins is supposed to be one of the easiest butterflys to keep, the main reason I got one. But still an unexplained death. :-(

Good luck though! Fingers crosses for your Kleins!
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If they are dying in a day or two I'd think somethings wrong with the water. Damsels are super hardy and may be living through the problem but when you put a fish like a butterfly it they get sick right away. I'd take a jar of yoru water to the fish store and have them test it for you. Sounds liek something is off...
Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Based on my research the Kleins is supposed to be one of the easiest butterflys to keep, the main reason I got one. But still an unexplained death. :-(

Good luck though! Fingers crosses for your Kleins!
Thats the same reason I ended up getting it (as my 3rd btfly). So far he is not spazzing out as much as the other 2. Hopefully over time the UV sterillizer will kill most of the bacteria in there
Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
If they are dying in a day or two I'd think somethings wrong with the water. Damsels are super hardy and may be living through the problem but when you put a fish like a butterfly it they get sick right away. I'd take a jar of yoru water to the fish store and have them test it for you. Sounds liek something is off...
Initially thats what i thought but ALL my parameters are in check. Ive tested them every couple of days and i have 0/0/10 (am/rite/rate). Ive even checked it today
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you seen visible signs of ich on these fish? From your description of the fishes behavior, it almost sounds like electric shock. I would check my heater, circ. pumps, or anything else electric that is submerged. As far as the damsel, idk those things are almost indestructible, he might be used to it! Or he's mental and the shock therapy really works for him!
Just a thought. It's either that, your water, or your acclimation process. I know Butterflies are difficult, I have a 4" Copperband, but 3 in about a month seems fishy to me.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com