3 fish die in 1 day!!!! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK.....I also have good surface movement as well. My sump is open.

Tested my water again today.
PH 8.4 Ammonia 0 kh 11 trite 0 trate 20 salinity 1.024

Lost the last Chromis and I noticed white spots on my Tomato Clown. Any suggestions?

Thats what im gonna do. And what should I do with the main display?

He has a 55 gall tank and those are small fish should not even caused any kind of spike with that size of tank. Unless the fish were huge. There has to be something else being missed. Marine Velvet maybe?

How bad are the spots? Just a few of lots? Does it look like pimples or sand or is it more blotchy?

If it looks really bad, I would suggest QT but also do a freshwater dip to get some of it off and get the Clown in better shape.

Look in the Sick Fish area of this site. Lots of people with Ich and tons of threads saying how to treat and some have links to great articles. I'm guessing Ich over MV, because MV usually hits and all fish are dead within a matter of days.

Sorry...hit send too soon...

Ideally, you want to leave the main display fallow for 6-8 weeks. If it is Ich, that lets what is in there die off because it needs a fish/host to survive.

Take a while to read up on treatments. You are looking at copper based or hyposalinity. Both CURE Ich, but different people prefer one or the other.

It looks like 2 pimples near his mouth, I don't notice it anywhere else. I just got a 10 gallon tank and some Kordon Rid-ick plus. About to try and catch him and put him in the 10 now, I'll keep you posted. Thank you

Tank stays around 79-80 degrees depending on if my lights are on or off.

Prepare a fresh water with same temp and HP as DT and put clown for about 5 seconds before transferring to QT for medication. I would use water from DT to QT for minimum stress. That's doing a pwc to DT.

I already have the QT set up, filled it with DT water. I'm still trying to catch him! Lol

Lol.....it happens man. Still trying to catch this clown, clever little fish!

It seems your 3 new chromis brought the parasites to your tank. They were stressed and parasites are invisible thus did the final blow on day 3. Now the ich is making new nest on your clown. I'm not sure what happened to your emerald crab. It might just be a coincidence when it got starved.

Thanks Jeff, I finally got the clown to the QT tank he looked a little stressed at first but seems to be calming down now. I have a few questions maybe you can help with. Do I need separate equipment for the QT ( ie, hydrometer, vacuum). The medication I bought says treat 3-4 days after white spots are gone and the DT has to be free of fish for about a month. How do I reintroduce the fish back to the DT after all that? I'm afraid to get any copper in my DT. Thanks.....John

I think that stuff like that would be fine, as long as you rinse them and don't use it in your DT right after using it in your QT.

For the fallow DT part, I would go 6 weeks. There is an article somewhere that shows percentages based on length of time fallow and 6-8 is where its supposed to be close to, or at, 100% gone/dead.

QT must have heater, HOB and power head for circulation. Just do regular pwc each week and before your daily medication. After a month or 6 weeks as recommended, move fish to smaller container with QT water and acclimate before moving to DT. Rinse fish in another container with DT water before finally moving to DT using clean fish net. Definitely use separate test equipment for QT.

Thanks for the help guys! I have a heater and a power head filter in the QT. Guess all there is to do now is wait. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom