3 fish die in 1 day!!!! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes a good lesson is learned by bad mistake. It's like playing a Russian Roulette when adding new fish directly to DT. Good luck John. I did the same mistake when I first started lol.

All my fish will be in QT after this....hindsight is 20/20! Lol

Hey all, just an update. The white spots on my clown have disappeared as of yesterday, so I'm gonna medicate him another 2-3 days as per the medication instructions. He looks like his old self and is eating well........John

OK......Can I get them at my LFS?? I would of been bummed out if I lost my clown... :-( He has personality!

Cool.....thanks again man. I'll keep you posted.

So yesterday I put the clown back in the DT and he never looked happier! Lol.......from now on all my new animals go in a QT tank first......How long do you QT them before putting them in main tank?

I think 4 weeks allows anything that is going to show up time to show up. I've heard some people do 2 weeks, but that just seems short to me. I've also heard from several people that doing a freshwater dip before putting them in for observation is a good idea. I'm going to start doing that now and see how that goes.

If your DT is free from parasites, the QT will get rid of any parasite in new fish. A fresh water dip is a good practice to drop some of them. A hypo salinity for 2 weeks IMO is enough time to have the rests erradicated. None will survive with low salinity including marine velvet and will have no chance to drop an egg.

Correction: except marine velvet.

Correct. For MV, you should do a freshwater dip to help get some of the parasites off, but hypo does not effectively get it all. With MV, treatment is copper (or there is a med called Marex that used to be sold, but is tough to find now).

OK......so I'll think I'll do the 4 week QT with a freshwater dip......shortcuts got me in trouble in the first place...... lol

Back
Top Bottom