3 gallon pictope/6 gallon fluval edge reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1995

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
after i get my 20 gallon freshwater done im planning on starting a 3 gallon jbj pictope reef or a 6 gallon fluval edge im new to saltwater im not sure what i will need fliltration light ect i want it to be cheap like under 150 or so and id like it to be simple have any thoughts

i want low light corals mushrooms ect not high light corals and i want to put 1 fish like a goby

fishman1995 said:
after i get my 20 gallon freshwater done im planning on starting a 3 gallon jbj pictope reef or a 6 gallon fluval edge im new to saltwater im not sure what i will need fliltration light ect i want it to be cheap like under 150 or so and id like it to be simple have any thoughts

3 gallon Pico,added second filter and small heater from Walmart.50% water change every two weeks.

You could always try to find a bargain on craigslist. 3 and 6 gallons for SW is especially hard for beginners. You have such a small volume of water that if you were to make a mistake like add too much salt or overfeed, there would be major consequences. In a larger tank like a 55 or 70, the system would be more forgiving so to speak. I recommmend a 10 or 20 which will probably not break your budget.

For filtration you can have a simple HOB filter (aquaclear is a great/popular brand, and it's recommended to have a filter double what it's rated for saltwater. So a 55g filter for a 20..you don't have to do this though.) Lighting you can use power compacts or a 2 bulb T5 HO light would work (are about $100). One option could be Odyssea lights which are cheap, but they aren't great quality and heat up a lot. You can also buy all base rock which is a lot cheaper than LR. Or you could buy mostly base rock and some LR to seed it. Having all LR is great, but it costs generally $3-5 per pound and 1-2 lbs per gallon is recommended so that can get costly. Good luck :).

obscurereef i live by a petstore with saltwater could i maybe borrow 3 gallons from them and go back every once and a while or use nutri sea water they had it there aswell instad of doing my own because its only 3 gallons

Back
Top Bottom