Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

3 gallon pictope/6 gallon fluval edge reef

after i get my 20 gallon freshwater done im planning on starting a 3 gallon jbj pictope reef or a 6 gallon fluval edge im new to saltwater im not sure what i will need fliltration light ect i want it to be cheap like under 150 or so and id like it to be simple have any thoughts

Old 10-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #2

i want low light corals mushrooms ect not high light corals and i want to put 1 fish like a goby

Old 10-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking about doing this as well.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman1995
after i get my 20 gallon freshwater done im planning on starting a 3 gallon jbj pictope reef or a 6 gallon fluval edge im new to saltwater im not sure what i will need fliltration light ect i want it to be cheap like under 150 or so and id like it to be simple have any thoughts
Old 10-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could always try to find a bargain on craigslist. 3 and 6 gallons for SW is especially hard for beginners. You have such a small volume of water that if you were to make a mistake like add too much salt or overfeed, there would be major consequences. In a larger tank like a 55 or 70, the system would be more forgiving so to speak. I recommmend a 10 or 20 which will probably not break your budget.

For filtration you can have a simple HOB filter (aquaclear is a great/popular brand, and it's recommended to have a filter double what it's rated for saltwater. So a 55g filter for a 20..you don't have to do this though.) Lighting you can use power compacts or a 2 bulb T5 HO light would work (are about $100). One option could be Odyssea lights which are cheap, but they aren't great quality and heat up a lot. You can also buy all base rock which is a lot cheaper than LR. Or you could buy mostly base rock and some LR to seed it. Having all LR is great, but it costs generally $3-5 per pound and 1-2 lbs per gallon is recommended so that can get costly. Good luck .

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

obscurereef i live by a petstore with saltwater could i maybe borrow 3 gallons from them and go back every once and a while or use nutri sea water they had it there aswell instad of doing my own because its only 3 gallons

Tags
3 gallon, 6 gallon, fluval, fluval edge, fluval edge reef, gallon, reef, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com